How Much Does Chicken Wire Cost?
Chicken wire is a mesh fence that is commonly used to protect and keep poultry or other livestock. Chickens are known to roam around as they follow small specks of scraps on the floor; this makes them unpredictable and hard to keep track of. This is the reason why poultry raisers put up chicken wire around the area in which the chickens are kept. While there are other options for fencing, chicken wire is one of the most popular types of fences for this purpose. Chicken wire was invented by Geoffrey Chaucer, who happened to be a son of a farmer. Chicken wire are made of thin, flexible, galvanized wire that has hexagonal gaps.
How much is it?
- Chicken wire is commonly available in home improvement stores and hardware stores. Several online stores also sell this item. The price of chicken wire depends on the size and amount of chicken wire that is purchased. The bigger the chicken wire is, the higher the price will be. The brand of the chicken wire can also affect the price of the item.
- On average, plan on spending anywhere from $8 to $25 per 25 linear feet of wire. Most wire is going to stand at least 48″ tall. For example, a 48” x 50’ fence could cost cost $16 to $70.
- For example, the online store Savich & Lee located in Florida offers different sized chicken wire. The chicken wire that they sell is priced from $19 to $110. The size of the chicken wire ranges from 1 x 12 to 1 x 74.
- For bigger projects, Academy Fence Company sells Hex Netting Chicken Wire Fence in large sizes. The chicken wire sold by this company is made of galvanized steel and can cost anywhere from $23 to $150.
What is going to be included?
- Chicken wire comes rolled into convenient containers such as a carton pack. The chicken wires can also include other materials such as an extra layer of PVC coating. They also come in different sizes and length.
- Chicken wire is also available in different colors which can go well with the overall layout of your poultry area.
What are the extra costs?
- Chicken wire needs to be attached to a post so that it will be sturdy and can stand on its own. You will need to purchase chicken wire fence posts, which are available in different sizes and are packed in bundles of 10 pieces or more.
- Additional cost would could involve installation of the chicken wire if you do not have the right set of skills. The price of installation depends on the contractor that will be installing the chicken wire as well as the location of your property.
Tips to know:
- Identify the area where the chicken wire will be placed or installed. Check how much of the area needs to be covered by the chicken wire. This is to make sure that you do not spend more on the fence and have wasted and unused fence when the project is complete.
- Chicken wire is made of different materials and its durability is dependant on the materials used to manufacture it.
How can I save money?
- Chicken wire is available in different sizes and lengths. Choosing the right sized fence will enable you to save money since enough fence will be used and will avoid wastage, which can translate to wasted money.
- Some stores offer the chicken wire in bundles, and this usually costs less compared when buying individual pieces.
- If you are unsure of how to install the fence or you want to hire a professional, consider using online services such as Service Magic to help find the cheapest contractor quote in your area.
- If you do have chicken wire left over after your project, store it and keep it for future use. If anything happens to the fence or weaknesses appear, you can use the extra to repair these spots.