How Much Does the CISM Exam Cost?
Taking the Certified Information Security Manager, or CISM, exam is one of the many ways that a person can continue his education after graduating from college. In today’s economy, simply finishing college is not always enough. The more credentials a person has, the greater the his chances of getting a job will be. Most employers will look at a person’s school history, work experience, and contuing education and certifications. One of the most competitive industries today is the IT industry and there are dozens of certifications available to boost your credentials. Network security is very important at this point in time since everyone can be vulnerable from hackers who manipulate and compromise the network of a person or a company. Because computers can change on a daily basis, continued education in this department is a must.
How much is it?
- The CISM exam is given twice each year and there are scheduled times that you can take the examination. It can be taken on June 9 or December 8 2012, and the price depends on the date you will take the examination. Every individual who wants to take the exam should register, and the price can also depend on how early or late you register for this exam. The CISM exam will cost between $395 and $645.
- According to the site ISACA.org, two examinations are available each year. You would be able to get the exam in June or in December. For the examination in June, the cost for the exam can be anywhere from $395 to $495 for ISACA members. If you registered on or before February 10 and online, the price will be less.
- If you are not a member of ISACA, expect the price of the examination to reach anywhere from $545 to $645 depending on the date you register for the examination.
- The information regarding the prices for the December examination have not yet been released as the registration will not be opened until June 2012. However, expect that the price for the examination on that date to be similar to the examination for June 2012.
What is going to be included?
- Once you pass the exam, you will be able to get certification for handling CISM concerns. Once you receive your certification, you you can use it to demonstrate your understanding of the relationship between information security program and wider business goals and objectives.
- The CISM certification is considered to be an essential for people in the IT industry since this ongoing education can keep them up to date with the latest information regarding network security.
What are the extra costs?
- ISACA offers membership programs for different individuals that are in the IT industry. Their membership offers several benefits including a discounted price for the examination. The membership is considered to be an added cost and it will have to be taken care of separately.
Tips to know:
- If you would like to be considered for a high end job, try to get as many certifications as possible. Your credentials along with a college degree will allow you the edge over those who only have a college education. Your credentials tell potential employers of what you can do even before you get hired.
How can I save money?
- There are plenty of ways to save money when you consider taking the examination. First, you may want to consider registering for the examination on the earliest date since it can cost considerably lower if you register early. Another way to save money is to register online as it can cost $50 less compared to registering by mail or by fax.
- Another way to save money is to become a member with ISACA. Although the membership can cost extra, you will be able to receive several benefits and take the exam at a lower cost.
- If you are already working in an IT department, ask if your certification could be covered by your company. Many employers will pay for their employees to stay updated on certifications.