How Much Does a Citizenship Application Cost?
A citizen application refers to the paperwork that needs to be filled out in order for a person to become a citizen of the United States. In the United States, there is a process to become a naturalized citizen for foreigners who are green card holders or have a permanent residence status. The US Citizenship and Immigration Services is the government agency that handles these cases. A person who is a green card holder should apply for citizenship using this application.
How much is it?
- Like most government procedures, there are several forms that you need to fill out for citizenship application. Once you have submitted the necessary forms, there are applicable fees for processing the documents and forms that you have submitted. The cost of citizenship application is governed by the USCIS, and they base the price on how much it would costs to process the documentation. On average, the price for a citizenship application can be around $595 to $700.
- If you are looking for information regarding citizenship application, the best place to visit is the website of USCIS.gov. This site contains all of the information necessary to file for changing different statuses. Remember that in order to apply for citizenship, you will need to fill out the N-400 form. According to this site the current price for citizenship application can range anywhere from $595 to $680.
What is going to be included?
- When you file for a citizenship application, the USCIS will perform the necessary filing to start the procedure for naturalization. They will also provide notification for the result of the application.
- All the forms that you need to fill out for the citizenship application can be obtained at no additional costs.
- There are customer service representatives available to assist you with any problems you may encounter.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs involved when filing for the citizenship application is the biometric fee, which can cost $85.
- Other costs involved for the procedure are only applicable if you ask assistance from a lawyer. If you think you need assistance in filling out the forms, there are establishments that offer it at $50.
- If you wish to preserve residence status while waiting for the results of the citizenship application, you will need to file for it; this can cost $330.
Tips to know:
- A citizenship application is necessary to legalize your stay in the United States. If you have gained permanent residence status, you should apply for citizenship so you can be eligible to acquire the same benefits as a natural citizen.
How can I save money?
- To save money, you can apply for the citizenship yourself so you will be able to save on costs of getting a lawyer which provides the same result. You can ask relatives or anyone who has undergone the process to help you out.
- If you want to hire an attorney, consider using a service such as LegalMatch to help you find one.