How Much Do Clay Roof Tiles Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Clay roof tiles are noted for its rich red color, extra strength, and durability. They are among the most ancient types of roofing materials that have withstood rain, snow, ultraviolet light, and acids brought about by air pollution.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the type of tile, the clay roof tiles can cost anywhere from $0.30 to $3 per tile without any sort of professional installation.
- At ebay.com, the price of a red “S” type Clay Roof Tile is $716 per pallet or $2 per tile.
- Manufacturers in China can offer much lower rate at $0.30 to $0.60 per piece.
- When installation prices are involved, plan on spending anywhere from $7 to as much as $13 per square foot for an entire roof of clay tiles.
What are to be included?
- You should have a strong underlay to ensure long life of your clay roof tiles.
- Ensure that you have appropriate roof framing to bear the weight of the tile roof. A hundred-square-foot clay tile roof weighs around 600 pounds to more than 1,900 pounds. This is much heavier than a traditional roof.
- Get a registered engineer to evaluate and determine the structural design needed to support the weight of your clay tile roof.
- Clay tiles come in different grades, with each having varying levels of resistance against climatic conditions. Determine the clay grade that works suitably according to the weather conditions in your area.
What are the extra costs?
- If your project involves intricate installation configurations and patterns, you might be required to pay an extra 5% to 14% on material and installation costs. To find out what it would cost in your area to have the tiles installed, HomeAdvisor.com can help.
- Since clay roof tiles are heavy and need stronger support, you might be required to pay an additional amount for new structural support – that is, only if the existing one is found to be not strong enough.
- You may need to shell out extra money if you are going to seek a registered engineer to evaluate your structural design.
- While you can get the actual tiles for much cheaper by ordering them from China, you will probably have to pay quite a bit for shipping since they are so heavy.
Factors that influence the price:
- Installation costs in high-end residential areas and near major metropolitan locations are higher.
- Top quality clay tiles will cost much higher than the typical ones.
Tips to Know:
- Clay roof tiles are one of the most ancient types of roofing materials.
- Since clay roof tiles are made of natural clay, they are recyclable and highly sustainable.
- You may choose to have your clay tile roof glazed or unglazed.
- Clay tiles are baked to remove excess moisture.
- The Spanish or Mission style, which comes in “U” or “S” shape, is the most popular type of clay roof, producing a unique intertwining design.
- Clay roof tiles are most suitable for homes with a modern, clean look.
- Even as clay roof tiles complement several styles of architecture, they also serve well in protecting homes and buildings from harsh exterior elements.
- Clay roof tiles provide natural air space underneath to keep the home ventilated.
- This type of roofing material is as cost-efficient as it is durable and noted for its high performance.
- The lifespan of a clay roof tile can outlast the lifespan of the material on which the roofing is laid.
- Except for the flat clay tile units, clay roof tiles are usually fixed firmly onto battens.
- Flat clay tiles are attached directly to the roof deck.
- The biggest disadvantage of a clay roof tile is its weight. It is very heavy that you would need a strong support for it.
- This type of roofing material is quite expensive compared with other materials.
- Clay roof tiles can break easily when you walk on them. Therefore, you should observe extreme caution when you need to walk on clay roof.
- A clay roof provides excellent insulation because of its poor heat conductivity.
Questions to ask:
- How will I determine the appropriate roofing material for my home?
- Is clay roof tile suitable in a region where typhoons are frequent?
How can I save money?
- Have your roof tiles installed by professional and licensed roofing contractor to ensure quality performance. Otherwise, you will end up spending more on repairs if your roof tiles are not installed properly. You may also opt for an experienced carpenter to do your roof installation.
- Allow multiple vendors to bid on the same project and choose the most cost-effective one.
- Set your installation project during slower periods for the installer to get a cheaper rate.