How Much Does a Clydesdale Horse Cost?
The Clydesdale horse is a breed belonging to the category of draft horse. A draft horse is a breed of horse used to perform heavy tasks. These tasks include plowing and farm labor. There are many types of horses and each type is bred for specific purposes. Different breeds of horses are built for different things, such as work, racing, or show. The Clydesdale is considered to be a draft horse since most have innate characteristics such as patience, docile temperament, and the strength to perform the task presented to them. Draft horses in our day can also be used for much more than work such as farming; they can also be used for show, logging, recreation and other uses. One of the most common uses for Clydesdales, and probably the most well-known by the average person, is pulling carriages for horse and buggy rides.
How much is it?
- There are certain factors needed to be considered when buying a Clydesdale horse. The first thing factored in is the location in which the horse was bred. Another thing being considered for the price of Clydesdale horse is the quality of breed. The age and the gender are other things to look at when considering how much you will pay for the horse.
- Compared to horses of other breeds, the Clydesdale is going to greatly vary in price and will probably be more expensive than other types of horses. Plan on paying anywhere from $500 for an older horse to as much as $12,000 for a younger Clydesdale that is in show condition. Most purchases are going to be between $2,000 and $5,000.
- Equine.com is an online website that offers many different types of horses such as Clydesdale horses. The Clydesdale horses sold on this site vary in age from 1 month to 11 years. The younger the horse is, the cheaper it will be. The price of the Clydesdale horse sold through this site can range from $500 to $12,000, although you do need to greatly consider the cost necessary to take care of a horse.
- EquineHits.com is another classified website that offers Gelding, Mare and Stallion gender of Clydesdale. They vary in age as well as in their size. These horses come from different breeders from all over the United States; this allows you to choose from the one closest to your area to save on delivery costs. The price of the Clydesdale horses sold in this site ranges anywhere from $600 to $7,500.
What is going to be included?
- If you purchase an older Clydesdale from a previous owner, it will most likely be trained professionally. However, these horses can still be taught and are open to new types of disciplines the new owners would like to instill in the horse.
- Most Clydesdales will grow to be over six feet tall. A horse will be measured from the ground to its withers. (The withers is the flat spot that is near the end of the horse’s mane.) Aside from growing over six feet tall, the horse can weight as much as 2,500 pounds.
- Most Clydesdale horses will come in a black or white color. Many will often have white spots that are scattered over the body.
What are the extra costs?
- Clydesdale horses are quite large and can therefore be very expensive to ship. Since shipping is not part of the asking price for the horses, this is considered to be an added cost. The price of shipping would depend on your location compared to the seller. It will also depend on the mode of transportation that you choose.
- Horses are a very expensive animal to maintain. You will incur the normal expenses of owning a pet, such as food and veterinarian care. However, you will have to pay for other things such as shelter and training. The average person does not have the capabilities to train a horse, and therefore a professional is usually needed for this job. A horse also needs a specific type of shelter. If you do not have the means to provide this at your home, you may have to find a barn to house your horse for you.
- If your horse is going to be used for show or recreation, you will need to move it often. You will probably need a trailer in which to carry the horse as well as a vehicle that is capable of pulling such a heavy load.
Tips to know:
- There are several types of Clydesdale horses available in the United States. Although they are mainly used for drafting, you may have something else in mind when you purchase one. Make sure you do your homework on the breed to make sure the job you have in mind for the horse will match its temperament and abilities.
How can I save money?
- Since the horse is available almost everywhere in the country, it is a good idea to start looking for horses that are sold within your area. The shipping costs will be lower since your distance from the seller will not be that far.
- If you are in need of a trailer or other items, check websites such as Craigslist or Ebay for used equipment. You can also negotiate with the seller – if the previous owner is selling the horse, he may also be willing to sell the trailer and other equipment used to take care of the horse.