How Much Does the COBIT Certification Cost?
The COBIT, a shorted term for Control Objectives for Information and Related Technology, is a certification created for information technology (IT) management and governance. Anchored by the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA), COBIT is a supporting toolset that does not only allow managers to bridge the gap between control requirements, technical issues and business risks but enables clear policy development and good practice for IT control throughout organizations. In addition, COBIT helps in the increase of the organization’s value towards information technology. Thus, securing a COBIT certification is beneficial for any member of an IT-based organization.
How much does it cost?
- According to the official site of ISACA, the price for an online COBIT examination is $150. Each exam will take about one hour to complete.
- The ISACA also offers an exam bundle that theoretically saves you money. The online COBIT Foundation course exam bundle costs $525 for association members and $675 for nonmembers. The prices are bundled together to provide a discount off the individual list prices. Thus, all the modules to be finished within a 9-hour estimated seat time are all covered.
- An online course catering the non-experts on the field is also available. Designed to give foundation-level instruction on the COBIT 4.1 framework and prepare an individual for the actual COBIT exam, this web-based and self-paced course is priced at $400 for members and $550 for non-members.
What is going to be included?
- As for the online COBIT Foundation course to be taken in preparation for the exam, there are five sections included in the course. There are (1) Responding to IT Challenges; (2) Introducing COBI; (3) What Does COBIT Provide?; (4) Applying COBIT in Practice; and (5) Products and Support from ISACA. All the modules must be finished in an estimated time of 8 hours. Each of these modules is designed to educate an individual on the need for and benefits of an enterprise IT governance framework.
- For actual exams, everything is done online. You first need to go to the official site of ISACA at ISACA.org and then check on your payment methods and the particulars of your exam. The online COBIT Foundation Exam, in particular, is comprised of 40 multiple-choice questions and is available at ISACA’s eLearning Campus. To pass the exam, an individual must correctly answer 28 or more questions, or attain a score of 70% or higher. A formal certificate acknowledging that you passed the exam will be issued by ISACA/ITGI after successful completion of the exam.
- The exam is currently available in five languages.
- Each exam has also its subscription length. This usually ranges from 60 – 90 days. In the event that you want to extend your subscription, you need to pay an additional amount.
- According to Benchmarklearning.com, completing the COBIT Foundation Course and passing the exam provides you with recognition and confidence that you understand the principles, elements, and recommended application of COBIT at a Foundation level.
- The COBIT exams will give you a better understanding of how to run your IT department. The knowledge earned from these tests will be a great asset to your company.
What are the extra costs?
- Subscription extension. As mentioned, there is a subscription period inclusive for the exam or an online course for which you pay. In the event that you want to extend your subscription, you need to pay for the extension costs which are either $50 or $75. The latter is for the bundled exam while the former price is for the COBIT Foundation course.
- Study materials. These will be helpful for you to pass the exam the first time. Additional study materials on the market such as DVDs and books can range anywhere from $20 to $80.
- Retakes. If you do not pass the exams, they will need to be retaken. There is currently no discount for taking the test a second time; you will pay the full price that you paid the first time around.
Tips to know:
- Take some free mock exams found online as a way to practice for the COBIT examination. Beginnerscobitcompanion.com is one of the excellent sites that help exam takers prepare through excellent study aids and a free mock exam.
- Prior to the exam, do not forget to be familiar with the official guide given by ISACA on COBIT certification.
Questions to ask:
- What classroom-based COBIT courses are available?
- How many CPE credits are earned?
- Can one earn a certificate for the course only?
- What content is licensed to licensees?
How can I save money?
- Be sure to get a membership from the ISACA. This is because most discounts in exams and courses are offered to association members only.
- The best way to save money is to pass the exams the first time. Otherwise, you will be paying for the exam twice.