How Much Does a Cockapoo Dog Cost?
The cockapoo has been recognized in the United States since 1950 and is a cross breed between an American Cocker Spaniel and English Cocker Spaniel. While the cockapoo is usually a very happy and healthy dog, some Cockapoo owners have stated that cockapoos can have wild temperaments compared to other breeds in its class. The Cockapoo cost will depend on the breeder, its age, characteristics, and the rarity of its coat color.
How much is it?
- On average, a Cockapoo can cost anywhere from $450 to as much as $1,200 for a puppy that is younger than 8 weeks. Some dogs that are older or are runts in the litter and have some health issues can cost as little as $200 to $400.
- For dogs that have been bred with AKC parents, the prices will be near the $1,000 to $1,200 price range.
- For instance, PuppyFind.com has a variety of breeders that have ads with prices that range anywhere from $200 to $1,500.
- Next Day Pets, another classified ad service similar to PuppyFind, has a variety of classified ads posted. Here, a Cockapoo can range anywhere from $225 to as much as $800.
- MyCockapooFriends.com, a local Cockapoo breeder has most of his breeds priced at $400 to $650.
What are the extra costs?
- Initial medical start up costs can get rather costly, depending on what the puppy has had done. A spay/neutering can cost around $100, and a series of up to date vaccinations can also cost as much as $100. SEE: “How much do dog vaccinations cost?“
- Training classes for your younger pup can cost anywhere from $75 to $200 per class setup.
- If you are going to crate your dog while you are not at home, plan on spending around $35 to $100 for the crate.
- For necessary food, vet bills and toys, it is best to budget around $20 to $50 per month for your Cockapoo.
- Most states will require a license for your dog, which can cost as much as $20.
- This particular breed requires a lot in terms of grooming because of the nature of their coats. With dog grooming, plan on paying around $30 to $50 per session on average.
- Having the dog shipped throughout the states or even overseas can cost $250 to $400 depending on the destination.
What is going to be included?
- Most breeders will include the necessary vaccinations and veterinarian paperwork.
- A reputable breeder will also include a pet guarantee that can last upwards of a year. This guarantee will assure you that if anything goes wrong, you can either return the pet or the breeder will cover your vet bills with the insurance (guarantee) that they provided you. However, this will only cover things such as illnesses. Injuries, ear infections, skin infections, etc. will most likely not be covered under a guarantee like this.
- AKC dogs will include all the necessary paperwork to prove their AKC registration.
- A Cockapoo can come in many different colors. These colors can include sable, red, red and white, black, and black and white.
- Depending on the breeder, some will have their tails docked and their dew claws removed.
Tips to know:
- These dogs are known to have very weak stomachs. Because of this, it is very important that you purchase a “premium” blend dog food. Premium bags of dog food will usually run around $35 to $75 per bag. If you choose the get a prescribed bag of food, the price can be significantly higher. However, because of the size of the dog, these bags of food will last a lot longer than they would for a larger dog.
- If you can, try to visit the pups in person rather than buying one online. This will give you a chance to talk with the breeder, see how their living conditions are, and see how the dog interacts with you. It will also help you save at least $250 in shipping fees.
- Many owners choose to crate this type of dog when they are not at home. The reason for this is that cockapoos are very active and can have a lot of energy. Left alone in a house for an extended period of time, they could potentially cause a lot of damage.
How can I save money?
- Like any pet, health problems can arise with your Cockapoo. To make sure that you are prepared for these situations, it would be very wise of you to consider a pet insurance policy. Like a health insurance policy for a human, you will have a deductible or copay, but it will help you in case of a worst case medical scenario.
- While rare, these types of dogs can be found at a local shelter. Check your local shelter to see if they have any available for adoption. Adoption fees can be as low as $75.
- Be very careful with cheaper dogs; these dogs are often cheap for a reason. If the breeder does not include a health insurance policy or guarantee, you could be out thousands within months if surgeries or medication is needed.