How Much Does Cockroach Extermination Cost?
The cockroach is one of the most common and dreaded pests that a person can find within the home. Because of the nature of cockroaches, seeing one in your home most likely means that there are many others that you simply have not seen. Since they can be rather hard to get rid of, you may have no choice other than calling an extermination service. This service will not only rid your home of cockroaches that are out in the open, but will also destroy the ones below the surface and in the walls, as well as the nests and any eggs that have been laid.
How much is it?
- The cost of extermination services will depend upon the number of cockroaches and the size of your home. The structure of your home will also be an issue; for example, a house that is built on a slab will be cheaper than a house that has a basement. On average, the cost will be around $75 to as much as $450 per visit. Subsequent visits can be anywhere from $45 to $100.
- Commercial visits for buildings can cost upwards of $800 a visit.
- According to the website Networx.com, the average visit will cost anywhere from $100 to $400, depending upon the severity of the issue. They also state that follow-up visits will usually cost as much as $100 each.
What is going to be included?
- Most extermination services are going to use a specialized fogger that uses an insecticides to dry out and kill the bugs. Inside of the fog will be a light mist that will have the insecticide inside of each particle.
- When the fogger is used, there is a good chance that your family will have to leave the premises. Each exterminator will have his own policy, but most will have you leave for upwards of 24 hours.
- Keep in mind that this is a very long process and it requires a lot of prep work. Extermination companies will ask that you bag up kitchen utensils and also cover any belongings that you want to protect. After the mist has been applied, a white dust substance can be found everywhere throughout the home that will need to be cleaned up later.
- Aside from a fogger, other methods that they can use can include aerosol sprays, emulsifiable concentrates, sprays and desiccants.
What are the extra costs?
- Because you may have to leave you home, factor in the costs for a night in a hotel for you and your family.
- If the cockroach infestation is due to a crack in the wall or foundation or any other home issue, a carpenter may need to be called in to fix resolve the issue. A carpenter’s cost will depend on what kind of damage that has been done.
Tips to know:
- The average lifespan of a cockroach is a little bit under one year; during that time, however, they can lay over 350 to 500 eggs.
- Discarded skin from roaches can often cause respiratory problems for people. Aside from discarded skin, roaches can also spread diseases and even contaminate your food.
- Cockroaches love moisture. Always make sure that your pipes are free of leaks, and make it a habit to check for cracks alongside your home, the molding, inside of your cabinets and flooring.
- When hiring any exterminator, always make sure that they are licensed and experienced.
- Most believe that a cockroach only lives in warmer temperatures, but this is not necessarily true. Although they are more common in the south where the climate is higher, they have been known to withstand freezing temperatures even with next to no food or water.
- It is so important to keep a clean home. Try your best to take out trash regularly and try to keep your home as clean as possible. This can include picking up dirty crumbs, dog food or even old pizza boxes laying around.
- If you try to get rid of the cockroaches using take home products, it may be tough to get the roaches and eggs that are hidden within your house. These products should only be used when a cockroach gets in the home every once in a while. For any larger problem, an exterminator is needed to get the job done right.
How can I save money?
- For smaller infestations, you may want to try getting rid of the problem yourself. Many over the counter sprays and products can cost anywhere from $10 to $30. Again, these products are designed for small infestations and generally will not work with a larger swarm in your home.
- If you do plan on hiring a professional service, website comparison sites such as HomeAdvisor.com can help you find the lowest and best quote in your area.
- For those that want to save money and make their own mix, StraightDope.com has a unique ways to kill off cockroaches.