How Much Does Cocoa Powder Cost?
Cocoa powder is one of the forms of cocoa extracted from the cocoa bean. Commonly used for hot chocolate, cocoa beverages and other desserts and baked goods, cocoa powder is an important food ingredient that every food lover must have. Children love cocoa powder when it is mixed with their milk to make chocolate milk. Cocoa powder is also used for a variety of things in baking. It contains several minerals including calcium and potassium. From a simple hot chocolate to delicious and nutritious desserts, cocoa powder is indeed a must-have item in the kitchen.
How much does it cost?
- Like any other cooking ingredients, the price for cocoa powders differs from one brand to another. A famous brand of cocoa powder is Hershey’s. It is sold per pack or per can containing a certain number of cocoa packs. Retailers such as Amazon.com, for example, sell Hershey’s cocoa powder at around $20 to $24 for a pack of 3 eight-ounce packages. The said price is for a natural and unsweetened cocoa powder.
- The price comparison service website Nextag.com has compared retailers’ prices for cocoa powders of different brands. Prices range from $10 over $50 for 23-ounce cocoa powder containers.
- Cocoa powder’s price varies depending on the quality. For cheaper cocoa powders, generic ones are good for the budget. According to Chacha.com, there are several varieties of cocoa powder that sell for about $1 to $2 per ounce. The site also featured a quality brand that is sold at $8.00 per ounce.
- At your local grocery store, plan on spending around $5 to $12 per container, depending on the number of ounces in the container.
What is going to be included?
- Purchasing cocoa powder is relatively easy as this ingredient can be bought at any grocery store. It can be even bought through reputable online stores.
- There are two types of unsweetened cocoa powders that one could buy: the natural and the Dutch-processed. Each of these can be used for specific purposes. Thus, using the type specified in the recipe as the leavening agent is dependent on the type of cocoa powder. Some people want to use Dutch-processed cocoa since it lacks the slight bitterness which may be tasted when using its natural counterpart.
- According to DiscoverBulk.com, there are six different varieties of natural and Dutch processed cocoa powders: Natural Cocoa Powder, Dutch Cocoa Powder, Black Cocoa Powder, Aristocrat Cocoa, Garnet Dutch Cocoa and Russet Cocoa Powder.
- Most packs of cocoa powder will come with basic instructions for use and may even have baking tips or recipes on the package.
Factors that influence the price:
- Amount per pack/can. Needless to say, the more included in the pack or can of cocoa powder, the more it is going to cost. However, this will save you money if you are doing several recipes using the powder.
- Brand of the cocoa powder. Some brands are known to be a lot cheaper than others.
Tips to know:
- Experts have said that there are 191 calories in one cup of unsweetened cocoa powder. In addition, it has been found out that cocoa powders contain a higher concentration of antioxidants than either milk or dark chocolate.
- Natural cocoa powder is most commonly used in cakes, cookies and brownies because it gives baked goods a deep, rich chocolate taste.
- Since there are differences between natural and Dutch processed cocoa powders, substituting one for the other in a certain recipe is not advised.
- As suggested by the site JoyofBaking.com, one must not confuse unsweetened natural and Dutch-processed cocoa powder with sweetened cocoa drink mixes. They are not the same thing.
How can I save money?
- You can buy a bigger pack or can of cocoa powder if you are planning to use large quantities for your recipes. Check your larger wholesale clubs such as Costco or Sam’s Club. The more you buy at one time, the more you can save per ounce.
- Try buying at the nearest grocery store. This is a lot cheaper than buying online wherein you need to consider shipping expenses. Local grocery stores will also accept coupons for the product – check your newspaper for weekly coupons and savings.
- Opt for generic since they are cheaper than branded ones. Most of the time, you will not even be able to tell a difference in taste.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|