How Much Does a Computer Fan Cost?
To avoid damage to your computer system and to allow a smooth operation, there is a need for a computer fan. A CPU fan comes in different sizes and makes use of copper and/or aluminum heat sink. The specifications include the diameter, and the heat sink will also indicate which processors with which it is compatible or specified to cool.
How much is it?
- A CPU fan can cost anywhere from $6 to $70 depending on the size and material of which it is made. Fans that produce low noise are priced higher than most other types.
- Case and power supply based cooling fans have prices ranging from $7 to $20.
- A hard drive cooler has a price of $15 to $25. There are also dual fans that can range anywhere from $40 to $60.
- Laptop cooling pads cost $12 to $60 depending on the size and brand. For example, Belkin sells a cooling pad that costs $17 to $30. Logitech also has a pad that ranges anywhere from $28 to $38.
- Liquid coolers are expensive and can be bought for around $250. These have the ability to tune the cooling system from zero noise to an extreme cooling performance.
What is going to be included?
- The price can include free shipping depending on the shipping location as well as the merchant through which you purchase online.
- Most cooling fans are going to come equipped with a pre-packaged box that includes the instruction booklet, etc.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping fee can be an extra cost when the seller will not provide it. Most sellers will require that you purchase a minimum amount before you receive free shipping.
- Other accessories such as fan adapters and fan holders may have to be purchased.
- If you have to hire someone to install the fan, this can be another expense. Most computer repair techs will charge $65 to $180 per hour to come to your home.
- Fan controllers may also be required. These are generally sold for $6 or more.
Top brands to consider:
- Cooler Master
Tips to know:
- Size is going to play a rather big role with computer fans. The larger the fan is, the more air it’s going to be able to shift.
- If replacing a fan, be sure to know what connection is going to be required. Fans can commonly include a three or four pin connection.
How can I save money?
- There are second hand cooling systems or computer fans at low prices. You can find these at some auction sites such as eBay or through other computer parts and accessories stores near you.
- Make sure to compare prices from different sellers to figure out where you can get cheaper deals.
- Instead of hiring a technician to install the fan and having to pay for this extra service, it would be better to do it yourself. There are tutorials online that can help guide you through the process.
- If you have an older computer or a system unit, try to check the fan. If it is still functional, you may want to try it to see if it is able to work in the computer you are currently repairing.