How Much Does a Computer Keyboard Cost?
A computer keyboard uses an arrangement of letters and numbers to communicate with the computer screen to accomplish certain tasks. A computer keyboard can come in many various sizes, shapes, as well as come as a wireless device that communicates with the computer without a cord. While a laptop computer will already have a built in keyboard, all computers must come equipped with a keyboard. Most computers include a keyboard, but many users opt to upgrade to a higher model. The cost of a keyboard will greatly depend upon the brand, the type, as well as other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a keyboard can cost anywhere from $15 to $80. Higher end keyboards that are designed for gaming and made with a steel frame can cost upwards of $100 to $135.
- Standard keyboards that have a flat surface with no additional gadgets can cost anywhere from $10 to $65. Most packages today come equipped with a mouse that matches the design of the keyboard.
- An ergonomic keyboard that is divided in half for each hand can cost anywhere from $20 to $75. For example, the highly rated Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard retails for $32 to $50.
- A keyboard designed for those that play games can cost anywhere from $30 to $135. These keyboards are different from the traditional keyboards because they have programmable keys, macros, as well as multi-key capabilities.
- A folded up keyboard that can roll up or flex can cost anywhere from $17 to $80. For example, the Matias Folding Keyboard retails for $52 to $70.
- Newer keyboards that come equipped with a touch pad right on the keyboard itself can cost anywhere from $26 to $150.
- A mini-keyboard that is ideal for travel with gadgets such as the iPad and more can cost anywhere from $30 to as much as $100. These keyboards use Bluetooth technology.
What are the extra costs?
- While most keyboards come equipped with a matching mouse, an additional one may be needed if not included. A mouse can range anywhere from $5 to $65.
- Depending on the size, a stand or tray may be needed for comfort.
- Wireless keyboards may require replacement batteries.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the type of keyboard purchased, all keyboards will have the same letter layout. Premium keyboards such as a gaming one may come with special keys that can be programmed, as well as a light that can illuminate at night.
- A wireless keyboard will come with a hub that is plugged into the computer’s USB port. This is how the two can communicate when used.
- Most brands will include a limited warranty on parts that can last upwards of a few years.
Top brands to consider:
How can I save money?
- For simple tasks such as word processing and surfing the web, a $10 keyboard will be more than enough. Upgrades of a keyboard are recommended for those that do heavy gaming or prefer to have a different layout such as an ergonomic.
- Look for used or refurbished keyboards for a discounted price. Websites such as Craigslist and eBay can often list great deals.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|