How Much Does Confectioners Sugar Cost?
Confectioners sugar, commonly known as powdered sugar, is a finely graded sugar made by milling normal sugar into a powdered state. To prevent clumping, it will contain a small amount of anti-caking agent.
How much does it cost?
- Like any other baking ingredients, the price for confectioners sugar depends on the amount purchased, brand and where it’s purchased. Most brands of confectioners sugar are sold in two pound packs and can cost around $2 each, with an average of $0.60 to $1 per pound.
- Different brands of confectioner’s sugar can be purchased through some online stores. Webstaurantstore.com, for example, sells a particular brand of confectioners sugar in a 2 pound bag for only $1.69.
- Another brand sold on Amazon costs $5.49 for a 16 ounce pack.
- You can also buy confectioners sugar in bulk which will enable you to save you money per pounds. For instance, a pack of six 16-ounce pouches can retail for $20 to $30. Thus, it will cost you around $0.28/oz.
What is going to be included?
- Most confectioners sugars come in 1 or 2-pound boxes or packs. It is a very common product, so you can simply purchase one from any local grocery store. If you want to get away from the hassles of grocery queues, you can place orders at some online stores and have it delivered at your doorstep.
- Most of the sugar sold in grocery stores have been grounded ten times. That is the reason why a 10x designation is placed on the packaging. Some specialty stores carry other grades, such as a 4x or 6x grind, which are generally used for specific commercial food products. The standard 10x box or bag is the one that is ideal for home use.
What are the extra costs?
- If you purchase confectioners sugar online, you will most likely have to pay for the shipping charges. Because these packages of sugar can be fairly heavy, the shipping charges may be higher than normal.
- Depending on the reason you are purchasing confectioners sugar, you will most likely need other ingredients to complete your recipe. All of these other ingredients will have to be purchased separately.
- It is sometimes easier to sprinkle confectioners sugar on top of your baked goods by using a sifter. This is like a strainer only with smaller openings. You can get a strainer in many different sizes and forms that can cost between $1-$20. There are also containers much like salt-shakers that can be used to keep confectioners sugar on the table.
Factors that influence the price:
- Location/Store. Some stores have lower prices than others even if the confectioners sugar brand is the same.
- Brand. Some brands are known to be more expensive than others.
Tips to know:
- Confectioner’s sugar must be stored in an airtight container in a cool and dark location. Otherwise it will harden and not be able to be used.
- Confectioner’s sugar can also be kept in an oversized shaker and served along with other breakfast condiments such as syrup, butter, and cinnamon. Sprinkling it over pancakes, French toasts or Belgian waffles can also be a delightful complement to a perfect meal.
- Confectioner’s sugar can also be a substitute for table sugar. You just need to identify how much powdered sugar to use in your recipe and do your calculations. For every cup of table sugar, use 1 1/3 cup of packed powdered sugar.
How can I save money?
- Aside from shopping around and looking for the cheapest items, you can make your own confectioners sugar at home. You can make accomplish this by simply blending granulated sugar until it turns into a powder. The easiest way to do this is by using a coffee grinder. For a detailed procedure, you can consult self-help sites such as eHow.com and DIY.com.
- Many major brands have coupons and deals available online. Be sure to check these deals before heading to your local grocery store.
- Confectioners sugar has a fairly long shelf life as long as it is stored properly. If you buy in bulk, you will save more per pound or ounce. Also, if you have a coupon and the item is on sale, you can purchase a few packages at the discounted price and save the others for later.