How Much Does Cosmetology School Cost?
Cosmetology school is comprised of the study and application of beauty treatment. The word “cosmetology” comes from a Greek word meaning “beautify.” When most people think of cosmetology, they think of make up application. However, there are actually a few different specialties within the scope of cosmetology. These include hair styling and coloring, skin care, cosmetology, manicures and pedicures, and electrology. Cosmetology school will provide courses that cover all of these areas, or you can choose to focus on one specific area of study.
How much is it?
- On average, the cost of a cosmetology school will be anywhere from $6,000 to as much as $30,000 for the entire program. A school in the heart of New York City will be near the higher end, while a school in a smaller rural area will cost around $6,00o to $12,000.
- According to the website BeautySchoolsDirectory.com, the cost of cosmetology averages between$10,000 and $20,000. It is even possible to find schools as low as $6,500 in some areas.
- Choosing a specified program such as nails or makeup can bring the costs down tremendously. If you have a certain skill in mind, the entire program could cost anywhere from $3,000 to $7,000.
- SpaBeautySchools.com claims that the average cosmetology school ranges anywhere from $6,000 to as much as $20,000.
- Aveda Institutes, a larger cosmetology brand has locations sprawled across the United States. On their website, they claim that their program lasts 12 months. On average, tuition and fees hover around $18,200 while books and supplies can cost $1,000. Miscellaneous costs can cost upwards of $5,000. In the end, if you wanted to attend this school, it could cost upwards of $30,000.
Factors that influence the price:
- The geographical location – schools in cities such as New York or LA will be more expensive.
- Who owns the school? Schools that are affiliated with big names in the industry will be much more expensive than an independent school.
- Are the supplies included? If you are going to need full supplies for each type of class, the cost will be much higher than the advertised tuition.
What is going to be included?
- In a full-fledged cosmetology school, a student will learn about facials, makeup, hair, nails and everything the state board requires in order to get licensed. Students can also focus on core programs such as hair or nails.
- Most schools will take around nine months to a year to complete.
- Choosing a school can be tough. BeautySchoolsDirectory.com has a well-written FAQ guide.
What are the extra costs?
- After you graduate from the program, you will have to become licensed through by your state’s board before you are able to practice. The cost to take this exam will vary depending on the state in which you live. Plan on budgeting at least $50 to $100. Most states require a certain number of hours of experience.
- Some schools are going to include the necessary textbooks and supplies as part of their tuition, while others may not. If these supplies are not included, the additional costs can easily reach into the thousands.
- Supplies such as the uniforms, shoes and equipment can cost anywhere from $200 to $700.
Tips to know:
- For those that are going to search for scholarships, do not just search for generic scholarships. Instead, narrow your search down to groups that focus on those going into a beauty related field. This is a great way to increase your chances on getting approved.
- If you want federal assistance, make sure that the school is fully accredited.
- When choosing a school, think about what you want to do with your certificate. If you are only desiring to work in a small salon or even open your own, a smaller, independent, cheaper school will be sufficient. If you eventually would like to work with celebrities, for example, you will want to choose a more prestigious school.
- When choosing a school, make sure that they have some sort of career placement service to help you when you graduate.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average earnings for cosmetologists is $22,210.
- Know your potential schools placement fee. Most of them will have this information available to the public.
How can I save money?
- Most accredited cosmetology schools will offer financial aid to students that qualify. Generally, you will have to fill out a form that asks for income information, your net worth, etc. Based on that information, financial aid can determine the amount for which you are eligible.
- Do not forget to search for those scholarships and grants. Every little bit can help.
- Most students opt to apply for student loans. Websites such as SimpleTuition.com can help you find the lowest student loan rate.
- Some schools will set up payment programs in which you can make smaller payments every month.
- Depending on where you live, it is best to call up a handful of schools before making a decision.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|