How Much Does it Cost to Enclose a Patio?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Enclosing a patio is a process during which walls, a roof, windows, and doors will be added to an outdoor patio. A patio usually begins as a flat area off the house that is covered with bricks or cement to form a hard surface. People use patios for things such as grills, outdoor tables and chairs, fire pits, etc. Enclosing a patio is done many people for a number of reasons. It may be because they want to make the patio usable all year long. Other reasons include keeping insects and other pests out of the area, offering more privacy from the neighbors, or to simply add more space to the house. Whatever your reason may be, enclosing a patio is a favorable option, but it will cost you money. The cost to enclose a patio is going to vary depending on numerous factors such as the size, the materials used, your geographical location and more.
How much does it cost?
- The price to enclose a patio is hardly ever the same from one to another. The cost can be affected by small factors such as your location, the contractor you choose, and the time of year you want the job done. The main things that affect the price, however, are the size of the area, the materials used, and the design of the finished product. The website eHow.com provides some estimates on common types of enclosed patios. According to the site, a screened-in porch can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000.
- A custom-built (four-season) sunroom with glass windows and temperature control can cost $70,000 or beyond. In addition, prefabricated enclosed patios can cost $10,000 to $30,000. This will generally include everything ranging from materials to the labor.
- PreviewConstruction.com states that the average cost of enclosing a patio can be around $5,000 to $15,000. This estimation includes the materials and the labor only.
- A suggested setup by Screen-House.com says the costs can be between $7,000 and $15,000 or beyond. In this given price range, one can create a high-quality, screened-in patio with aluminum frames and wire mesh screens complemented with an insulated aluminum roof. Walls in this type of covered patio can be 10 to 15 feet high with standard-wide screens.
- As long as you keep the patio basic, plan on spending anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000 for a basic screened-in patio.
What is going to be included?
- Enclosing a patio is like any other home improvement project. You need to consider materials, design and labor above all things. But before you start enclosing your patio, you may need to comply with the building regulations set by your local government. Always check with your local building officials to see if there are any restriction to be applied and whether you are required to get a building permit.
- You also need to secure the foundation before construction begins. You need to check for any remedial work that may need to be done. Sufficient gradient for water drainage must be ensured in order to prevent flooding. You may also need to lay a concrete slab if your design requires you to do so.
- Framing and walling will be considered next. You need to consider the additional support frames that may be required around windows and doors.
- The designs and types of roofs, windows and doors are important in enclosing your patio as well. For the roof, you may need to use highly insulated materials in order to regulate the temperature inside. This would also enable you to use the patio all year round. The windows and roof, on the other hand, must also complement not just the aesthetic design but the whole set-up of the enclosed patio.
- It usually takes several weeks (or in some cases, months) to custom-build an enclosed patio. This usually depends on how prepared your planning of the endeavor is.
What are the extra costs?
- Labor. While there are many parts of this job that can be done by the home owner rather than a contractor, there are other things that are better left to the professionals. For example, if there is electrical work that needs to be done to provide light to the patio, an electrician should be hired. The average labor cost for something like this starts at $20 per hour, depending on the location. To find contractors in your area, consider using services such as HomeAdvisor.com to get multiple quotes at once.
- Additional features and designs. If you want to create a more sophisticated design for your patio enclosure, then you will probably end up paying more than the average. You can place additional windows, doors, finish-grade flooring, wall coverings and electrical fixtures if your budget allows.
- Furniture. Do not forget that you have to supply the patio with furniture once it is finished. SEE: “How much does patio furniture cost?“
Factors that influence the price:
- materials used
- electricity installation
Tips to know:
- The biggest differences between low-end and high-end patio enclosures lies in the construction and weather proofing. If possible, try to visit an enclosed patio in person to see how it looks.
- Always hire a reputable contractor that offers a reasonable price to do your patio enclosing. To find one, consider looking at reviews online or checking with the Better Business Bureau.
- Acquire at least five quotes and have these compared before you sign up with a contractor to do the job. It is always wise for you to ask them for some references and resume in order for you to review their experiences and quality of work.
- Never hire a contractor that is not insured.
How can I save money?
- One can opt to have a patio enclosure that is made of plywood siding and a simple screen door in order to save money on materials. Also, you can choose removable screens instead of windows.
- Another inexpensive way of building an enclosed patio is to convert it into a sun room with steel framing, wire screens and a vinyl top. This can cost around $2,000 to $5,000.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|