How Much Does Ceiling Fan Installation Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Suspended from a ceiling, a ceiling fan is going to rotate the air to either cool or warm up a room. While there are many types of ceiling fans, they are not easy to install if you have no experience in electrical work. If you want to hire a professional, the price of one is going to greatly depend on the company, the complexity of the job, as well as the number of fans that need to be installed.
How much is it?
- On average, most electricians are going to charge anyhwere from $75 to $220 to install a ceiling fan in an existing light box. If there is a light already in place where you want to place a ceiling fan, the electrician can simply take out the old light and replace it with a fan of your choice.
- If the wiring is not there and a ceiling fan needs to be placed in an area of your choice, this area can get rather complex. If wiring is needed as well as a new outlet box, the cost can be anywhere from $275 to as much as $650 depending on the complexity of the job.
- Many major home improvement stores such as Home Depot and Lowe’s will run ceiling fan installation specials that can range from $75 to $120 when you purchase a fan through them.
- According to the website TheHousingForum.com, they claim that it would cost upwards of $150 to have a professional installation done if there was already a light outlet installed. For those that want to do it yourself, the costs should be within the $100 range.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional parts may be needed on the job such as electrical boxes or light switches.
- If you want a remote for your fan, many brands have remotes that are sold separately. Ceiling fan remotes can cost anywhere from $25 to $60.
- If the junction box attached to the ceiling needs to be reinforced or replaced, this may cost an additional $20 to $40 to replace it.
- If a lightbox hasn’t been installed and the contractor has to install a new light box and run wires, the costs can be significantly more.
What is going to be included?
- An electrician is going to be able to assemble the fans as well as layout the appropriate framework if a new box has to be installed. He will be able to replace the older light fixture with a new ceiling fan in the area of your choice. A professional will usually take up to two hours to install one fan.
- If the lightbox hasn’t been installed, the contractor will more than likely have to run wire through the attic access, connecting the wires to a circuit breaker box.
How can I save money?
- Most electricians will cut a deal when you have more than one fan that needs to be installed. Count on getting all your fans done at once to save the most money.
- Consider purchasing your fans through a store such as Home Depot to get a special ceiling fan installation deal. There are many times when you’ll find these fans not only on sale, but you can also receive rebates for your purchase and more.
- Find a contractor using services such as Service Magic to help you find the best quote in your area.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|