How Much Does it Cost to Lift a House?
Lifting a house, also known as elevating a house, is one of the many types of remodeling that people choose to do. Because houses are so expensive, changing things through remodeling is usually a much cheaper option than purchasing a new home. In areas that have frequent flooding, lifting a house is very common in order to elevate the house out of the range of standing water. Lifting a house can also be done as a way to move the house to another area or to a add basement to the existing structure. Lifting a house can be an expensive task; however, if it is really needed, you should have this performed to prolong the life of the house.
How much is it?
- The cost to have the house lifted varies depending on the location of the house. There are several evaluations that need to be done to guarantee that the finished work will hold up . The size and materials of the house will also be a factor for the price of lifting the house. On average, the cost of lifting a home can be anywhere between $9,000 and $40,000. The larger the home, the more expensive this process will be.
- On the website Construction-Resource.com, different people who have had their houses lifted discuss the prices they paid and the procedures that were used. The cost to have a house lifted according to this site ranges from $20,000 to $30,000.
- CDSMovers.com is a company that performs house lifting as well as moving, and the services are offered for anywhere from $12,000 to $20,000.
What is going to be included?
- During the procedure, the house will often be taken off the foundation. After the home has been lifted, a contractor will be able to excavate the area underneath the home. Once the area has been excavated, a new foundation will be created and the home will be placed on top of the new foundation.
- Evaluation of the structure is very important and this will be done by the contractor you hire to do the job. They will also provide an estimated price for the total figure of the cost to have the house lifted.
What are the extra costs?
- Since most of the gas and water lines are located below the house, the cost to have them moved or to re-pipe them will be considered an additional charge. The company that provides gas and water will need to come evaluate the pipes and determine whether anything needs to be done with them.
- You will also have to get proper permits which will allow the contractors to excavate within the county. You can ask your local state offices how you can get building permits; this usually costs $300 to obtain.
How can I save money?
- In quire with a number of different contractors that can perform the job for you. They usually offer the service at varying prices, often competing with one another. Compare the the different services each company offers as well as the price of each. Consider using websites such as ServiceMagic.com to find the lowest contractor prices in your area.
- Having the right knowledge and skills in construction can help you save money, but you will need to spend time on the project. However, it is still suggested that you assess the situation and calculate if it is going to cost you more to do the job yourself or to hire a contractor.