How Much Does it Cost to Re-key Locks?
Re-keying a lock is the process of taking every lock in a home and re-keying it so that it accepts a new key. According to many locksmiths, one of the most common jobs done is the process of re-keying locks at a home or a business. This process is going to be a lot cheaper than getting new locks installed in each door. The cost of re-keying a lock is going to depend on the number of doors that need to be done, the locksmith performing the job, as well as the geographical location.
How much is it?
- On average, a locksmith is going to have a minimum service charge that ranges anywhere from $35 to $75 to come to the house. This service charge can greatly depend on how far away the locksmith is located. Trips that are less than 30 minutes can be on the lower end, while a trip that takes over 30 minutes can be on the higher end.
- For each cylinder that has to be re-keyed, the cost can range anywhere from $10 to $28.
- For example, Mark’s Locksmith located in Beaverton, Oregon has a trip fee that ranges from $40 to $50 with an additional $10 per lock.
What are the extra costs?
- Each additional key can cost anywhere from $2 to $4 each. Keys that cannot be duplicated or say “Do not duplicate” will cost an extra $1 to $3.
- Re-keying an automobile or motorcycle can cost significantly more than re-keying a home. Keep in mind that some locksmiths cannot perform this service due to the complexity of the process.
- To have the process expedited, additional fees can be applied if it has to be done within a 24 hours or so.
What is going to be included?
- During the process, the locksmith will dismantle each lock that has to be replaced. If requested, a locksmith will be able to create a master key that will open all the locks in the home. The new cylinders are removed and a new combination is inserted. This combination is what interacts with the key.
- If a deadbolt is purchased in the store, a combination will match up with the keys to ensure that they fit properly.
How can I save money?
- Consider new locks such as the Kwikset SmartKey feature. These locks enable the homeowner to re-key his own lock using his own tools. The locks can start at $30 and the re-keying set can cost as little as $7. The nice thing about these locks is that not only are they easy to change, you will also find out that many locksmiths have a very hard time breaking into these, almost making them thief proof.
- If one lock has to be replaced, it may be cheaper to purchase a new deadbolt kit. These kits can cost as little as $30. Installing a deadbolt is rather easy. If unsure of how to install one, consider various resources online to assist you with the project.
- If purchasing a deadbolt and lock and are considering a bulk purchase, consider looking for a contractor’s pack.