How Much Does Couch Reupholstery Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Couch reupholstery is the process of covering an existing couch with new fabric to make it appear like new. A couch is oftentimes the focal point of every home. This is the reason that people spend so much time and money on purchasing a couch for their homes. However, a couches size and use make it one of the most expensive pieces of furniture that is found in the home. As couches get used over a few years, the look of the couch can diminish; the comfort, however, may be as good as it has always been. In this case, couch reupholstery can be considered since it allows you to keep your existing couch while getting a new look at the same time.
How much does it cost?
- Many factors have to be considered before a quote can be made on a couch reupholstery job, but the average would fall under the range of $400 to $1,000 if done by a professional.
- According to ReedUpholstery.com, the cost of reupholstery of a couch varies greatly based on the size and design, but on the average, cost ranges from $600 for an open-arm couch of about 70″ to 85″ in size and can go up to $990 for a closed-arm couch of the same size. For oversized couches measuring 85″ to 100″, the cost would be fifteen percent on top of the prices mentioned.
- Another store that provides reupholstery services, UpholsteryResource.com, also bases the cost on type of furniture and style with prices ranging from $625 to $1,080.
- On average, your prices are going to range anywhere from $350 to as much as $1,500 depending on the size of the couch.
What is going to be included?
- During the procedure, the upholsterer will dispose of all the older fabric on the couch. Once the customer has picked out a new fabric of choice, the newer fabric will be replaced. Depending on the size and the number of jobs they have to complete, the job length can vary.
What are the extra costs?
- New foams and padding are considered as additional costs. This is necessary when the couch cushions have lost their shape or form because of extensive use.
- Fabric material to be used will be part of the add-ons. The fabric will really come down to your preferences of design, fabric, and color.
- More intricate designs like skirts will result in additional charges.
- Frame repair is also not part of the basic quotation as it will entail more labor.
- Cushion and pillow covers can cost anywhere from $10 to $95 depending on the size.
- If you cannot deliver the couch to the company, you will more than likely have to pay the company to have it picked up. Delivery fees can range anywhere from $100 to $350.
Factors that influence the price:
- Reupholstery stores usually take into consideration the style, age, and condition of the couch before giving out a price. A couch that is not in good working condition would definitely need more time and more effort to rebuild.
- The material is another important basis for computation of cost. The material is usually computed by yard. A couch on average uses from 18 to 22 yards of fabric. Some fabrics cost as low as $15 per yard to as high as $180 for fabrics made of silk and wools.
- Labor charges vary according to location and if the person doing it is a novice or professional for the job.
Tips to know:
- Quotes are just approximate figures and not considered final until the furniture has been inspected and the work has begun.
- Costs can go up depending on the state of the frame. This is not known until the furniture is opened up.
- Couch Cleaning. Instead of reupholstery, you can try having a professional come to your home and clean your couch. You may be surprised that the results of the cleaning may be almost like a new couch. For the costs of couch cleaning, see “How Much is Couch Cleaning.”
- Couch cover. There are simple covers that you can buy to place over the existing fabric of the couch. These covers come in a variety of sizes, colors, and designs. They can also be taken off and washed, which allows you to keep your couch even cleaner than before.
Questions to ask:
- How long will the repair take?
- Are there additional costs to consider?
- Who will handle pick-up and delivery?
How can I save money?
- There are good quality fabrics that can start at $15-$30 a yard. Be sure to check many pieces of fabrics and compare prices before deciding on one.
- If you have patience and you are willing to learn, consider doing the job yourself. There are many how-to books you can purchase or videos you can watch online.
- Be sure to compare the pros and cons of reupholstery and a new couch. What you may find is that buying a new couch may be a lot cheaper than a reupholstery job.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|