How Much Does a Cover Up Tattoo Cost?
A tattoo cover up is, as the name implies, a type of tattoo done to “cover up” an old one. The task may involve difficulty because the tattoo artist has limited options. Due to the intensive process of determining the ideal cover up design and the time involved to work on it, a cover up tattoo can be quite expensive sometimes.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of a cover up tattoo is going to greatly depend on the size of the tattoo, the design, time involved and the person doing the job. On average, a tattoo cover up can cost anywhere from $200 to as much as $600. However, larger tattoos that take up a great portion of the body could reach well into the thousands.
- At Scorpion Tattoo Studios in Houston, Texas, a cover up tattoo usually costs $150. Custom tattoo jobs cost $125 per hour while the minimum price charged is $60.
- The cost of getting cover up tattoos at New Covenant Ink in Weatherford, Texas, depends on the size and time required to finish the tattoo. On average, a tattoo that takes an hour to finish can cost $50 to $100 and a 4-hour session can range from $350 to $400. A cover up tattoo that takes 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours to finish can cost $200.
What is going to be included?
- Cover up tattoos typically take longer to finish as they need to be larger than the original tattoo, and they can cost significantly more due to the constraints involved. Generally, tattoo cover ups are not simple tasks since there is a degree of difficulty involved in doing another tattoo on top of an existing one. Since tattoo ink is translucent, the cover up work has to be darker and bigger to cover the old design and make sure it is not evident after the job is done.
- Generally, a tattoo artist may be able to do a cover up tattoo for scars or stretch marks, provided the areas are completely healed.
What are the extra costs?
- After getting a tattoo, you will need to care for it to help it heal sooner. You will need to purchase a tattoo cream, which is usually provided after the session. It is applied to the area 3 to 4 times a day to keep it moisturized. The aftercare cream can cost $10 to $20.
- If you do not take care of the tattoo properly, an infection can occur. If this happens, you will need to consult your doctor.
Factors that influence the price:
- Complexity. Cover up tattoos require more time and effort due to the limited options that the artist is faced with. The complexity of the task of effectively covering up the old tattoo depends on the original designs, which may be difficult to cover up, resulting in longer hours.
- Labor. When it comes to cover up tattoos, many tattoo artists prefer to work by the hour rather than charge a fixed price. Working on a limited setup often limits the possibilities, sometimes rendering the task more complicated.
- Skill. Experienced tattoo artists who hold extensive experience typically charge high rates. It is common to find artists who charge up to $400 for a superior cover up job was done on an old tattoo.
Tips to know:
- When getting a tattoo, always keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Good artists do not come cheap and for a reason. Just make sure that he or she is highly recommended by people you know and can provide a portfolio of previous work.
- Most cover up tattoos have to be larger than the original one. The shape of the old tattoo is usually eliminated by using the shape to create another that reinforces new lines or cover up old ones.
- It is not possible to have a cover up tattoo done on areas with excessive scarring or tissue damage. Before any work is done, the tattoo artist will need to do an evaluation on the tattoo and the possible options.
- Not all tattoos can be covered up. Tattoos that are dark will not be able to have a light ink replace it. In this case, you may need to think about tattoo removal.
How can I save money?
- Tattoo shops often provide discounts to customers who bring in friends for tattoo services. Regular clients have been given as much as $100 off the total cost of a tattoo.
- If you need your tattoo covered up for certain occasions or events but are not planning on removing it permanently, consider makeup services. Many professionals provide tattoo cover up services using makeup. Tattoo cover up using makeup can cost $25 and up.