How Much Do Covered Gutters Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Covered gutter systems have grown in popularity over the past years since they have proven to be more effective in collecting and carrying water safely away from our houses. Although they are more expensive than the traditional gutter systems, covered gutters are more effective in preventing many home repair issues since they do not easily fade or crack in extreme weather. They are also advised for homeowners who do not have time to climb up on a ladder and clean out gutters, not to mention that they can also be stylish and can come in various colors to match your house. With covered gutters, you will surely save money on repairs and necessary maintenance over time.
How much does it cost?
- The price for gutters and their covers depends on the particular type to be used. Copper, steel, aluminum, vinyl and plastic are few of the common types of materials for gutters. According to GutterHelmet.com, copper usually costs $25 to $30 per foot, stainless steel is $15 to $20 per foot and aluminum is $10 to $15 per foot. Cheaper materials such as zinc can cost $12 to $17 per foot. Galvanized steel, vinyl and plastic are also cheaper and usually cost around $4 to $8 per foot. However, it is on the labor costs that the prices vary widely.
- For the actual covers, there are so many gutter screens, inserts, and covers that you can find to fit your gutters. Researchgutters.com gives the pricing and installation information for common gutter cover types. Plastic screens, for example, cost $0.25 to $1.00 per foot without the installation while price mark at $1.00 to $3.00 with professional installation.
- Aluminum Screens cost $1.00 to $3.00 with the installation and $0.50 to $1.50 without the installation.
- Other pricier materials such as PVC coated metal screen and screen with mesh filter cost from $6.50 to over $20 per foot to install. Copper is also one of the most expensive covers on the market and range from $30 to $50 per foot installed.
- Homewyse.com is another resource that gives the average price of installing gutters. The price given by the site for installation of a mid-grade roof gutter includes the typical installation waste, fabrication overage, material for future repairs and delivery within 25 miles. The cost for a 200 linear foot gutter in a particular state, for example, costs $1,447.66 for higher quality and $897.70 for lower quality. The said price is inclusive for the materials, supplies and labor. Excluding the labor, it will only cost around $600 to $1,000.
- According to Fixr.com, installing gutters (either covered or not) with the help of professionals will be costlier than the average. It will usually range from $1,050 and $2,400, with separate prices for enhancement and improvements.
What is going to be included?
- As mentioned, materials and installation costs have different prices. Thus, a homeowner gets the value only of what he pays for. If he pays for the materials, then he can install the gutter cover on his own or hire (separately) a professional to do the installation.
- Although you can always do the installation process on your own, there are gutter covers that are strictly installed by professionals. Thus, the payment you will have will be inclusive for the material and the labor. To find a professional in your area, services such as HomeAdvisor.com can help you find quotes in your area for free.
- For a do-it-yourself procedure in installing a covered gutter, you can check out self help sites such as DIYNetwork.com.
What are the extra costs?
- Installation/Labor. If you are capable of climbing on your home’s roof and installing covered gutters on your own, you can just do the job all by yourself. If not, then you need to ask assistance from a professional. As expected this will cost you a lot in labor fees. As per Fixr.com, labor costs can go as high as $3600. For a specific list of gutter types and their labor costs, HarryHelmet.com gives the necessary information on common price ranges.
- Customization. If you are a meticulous person who always puts attention to minor details, you can make customizations to your gutter to suit the design. As long as you talk with your installer, you can have customizations done. However, this may call for additional costs.
Factors that influence the price:
- Location. Aside from the fact that differences on prices are determined by the specific company that will do the gutter covers, the location will be the biggest determinant as well. The prices for the installation and materials vary from one city to another.
- Material to be used. As specified above, the costs for the materials varies largely. It can range from less than a dollar to over fifty dollars per foot. That is why one should consider the material itself before the installation since it could blow up the overall costs.
- The extent of the job. Needless to say that if you are having a bigger project, then you can expect to pay higher for it.
Tips to know:
- Do not compromise quality over affordability. Always hire a reputable contractor that offers a reasonable price to do the job.
- If you are considering a new roof and new gutters, it is better to have both jobs completed at the same time and by the same company. This will usually be cheaper than paying for the two services separately.
- Make sure that gutter downspouts are pointed toward lower ground elevations so that water does not back into your home.
- Always remember that you need to balance your budget, maintenance costs, and personal preference to select the best gutter system for your needs.
How can I save money?
- Like any other home project, you can save money by being flexible on the project scheduling. You can schedule your project during slow periods for the installer.
- Always look for the most affordable prices without compromising the quality. Look for multiple vendors to bid on the same covered gutter project. Make sure that you have similar complete description of the job to be done. As usual, choose the installer that bids the lowest but offers high quality work. Ask if the company can provide you with references of their previous work.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|