How Much Does a Crochet Hook Cost?
The crochet hook, also called a crochet needle, is a type of needle that has a hook on one end specifically designed to pull the yarn through knotted loops.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a crochet hook is going to cost anywhere from $2 to as much as $32. The cost will depend on the size, amount in a package, the brand and where it’s purchased.
- For example, this highly rated Susan Bates Hook Set retails for $6 to $11.
- For instance, at Joann Fabrics, you can buy a crochet hook for as low as $2 each.
What is going to be included?
- Aluminum is the most common material used to make a crochet hook. But, due to innovations, you will see plastic, bamboo, wood, and steel hooks. The type and material that you choose is really just personal preference, whatever you are more comfortable holding.
- The sizes or diameter of crochet hooks can be identified by its letter or number, such as F, G, H, I, J, K or 8, 9, 10, and 11.5. The larger the size of the hook, the bigger the stitch will be. The size of the hook determines the stitch size.
- Most hooks are going to come in packs of six or ten. Because crochet hooks are somewhat small, they are easy to misplace.
- Common brands include Boye, Clover, Lion, Quiksilver and Red Heart.
What are the extra costs?
- When you buy a crochet hook, you may also need some thread or yarn and other tools to work with. Some people choose to wear special gloves when crocheting to help with grip.
- You might also want to buy a tapestry needle.
- If you want to learn how to crochet, there are many things that can help you. For example, there are tutorials online that you can watch, or there are books and magazines that walk you through the process. You can also take a class at your local craft store.
Factors that influence the price:
- The price of a crochet hook depends on the brand, size, and type of material that the hook is made of.
- The store from where you want to buy the crochet hook can also affect its price.
Tips to know:
- Usually, beginners start out by learning the chain stitch first, which is also the most important and basic crochet stitch.
- When you are a beginner in crochet, you do not need many supplies to get started. All you need to have is a crochet hook, some fiber like yarn or thread, and scissors.
- Crocheting is a repetition of looping and wrapping of yarn to produce a pattern. If you do not know anything about crocheting, each stitch and pattern may look the same to you. If you inspect the piece, however, you will find that each method will produce a different look. Some patterns are loose while others are tight; some stitches are small while others are large; some pieces end up being light while others can be quite heavy. It all depends on your preference!
How can I save money?
- Determine which craft store sells the most cost-effective crochet hooks. You may even want to shop online. Many local craft stores, such as Michaels and Joann, offer coupons that can be found online and in the local newspapers.
- Consider subscribing to the mailing list of craft stores to obtain special offers on the products that may interest you.
- Not all crochet hooks are expensive. There are those that cost only a little more than a dollar. Determine what you are going to use the hooks for before you decide on the brand or type of material you want to have. The cheapest quality may not always be the best.
- If you are going to crochet different styles and patterns, you will need more than one type and size of the needle. If this is the case, consider purchasing a multi-pack that has all the sizes you will need in one package.