How Much Does Crushed Granite Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
Crushed granite is a very good landscape material appropriate to use for a secondary path or casual patio, driveway, fire pits, ground cover, and other landscaping projects. It is a natural rock that produces an elegant appearance when arranged, and yet it is affordable and simple to install. Not only that, crushed granite is effective at preventing weeds in the garden since it retains moisture in the soil. You can put a two-inch layer of crushed granite in the garden as an alternative to mulch.
How much does it cost?
- On average, crushed granite is going to range anywhere from $3 to $5 per yard. By the square foot, it should not cost any more than $0.50 to $2.50.
- Homewyse.com placed the total average cost of installing crushed granite between $0.70 and $1.07 per square foot. But, if you prefer to buy only crushed granite without installation, the prices could range from $86 to $131 per ton.
- Crushed granite is available at Soilbuildingsystems.com at these rates per cubic yard:
- ½” (screened) $ 48
- 5/8” chips (screened) $ 48
- 5/8” to dust – Base $ 48
- ¾” down to 1/8” (screened) $ 48.
- 1” down to ¼” (screened) $ 48
- 1 ½” to dust – Road Base $ 48
- 2 ½” down to 1” (screened) $ 47
What is going to be included?
- Before an exact quotate for crushed granite installation is made, the service provider or contractor does a project site inspection first.
- The cost of installing crushed granite is often based on a standard rate.
- The cost includes delivery of crushed granite and distributing the same on the specified area.
- Some often get confused with decomposed granite and crushed granite. The difference is that crushed granite tends to have sharper edges and shapes that are irregular. Also, decomposed granite is made naturally by allowing the granite to begin to decompose. This is the reason that it is not as sturdy as crushed granite. Crushed granite has not yet begun to decompose, but is simply crushed into very small pieces.
What are the extra costs?
- The cost of installation does not include excavation, demolition, and removal of existing pavement or hardscape.
- Delivery of crushed concrete can add at least 35% to the total costs mentioned above.
- Sales tax or customs fee may be required for materials shipped in from an overseas source.
Factors that influence the price:
- Cost can vary according to granite features. Granite may come in uniform particles and with packing ability.
- Prices are also influenced by the contractor’s expertise, project location, and the seasonal contractor wage rates.
Tips to know:
- Crushed granite comes in varied sizes from ½” to 2 ½”.
- Crushed granite has some advantages over other materials for patios, walkways, and driveways, such as:
- It is tough against vehicle tire marks.
- Since it is installed tight and compact, women with high-heeled shoes can walk with ease on its surface.
- Crushed granite easily adapts to any garden.
- Its natural look blends or complements well with other materials.
- It does not crack.
- It can be installed easily.
- Crushed granite is affordable.
- It has a long life span and is very durable.
- One of the salient characteristics of crushed granite is its corners that make it suitable for aesthetic purposes, or for drainage projects.
- Crushed granite packs nicely, but allows air and water to penetrate through.
How can I save money?
- Hire a licensed and bonded landscaping contractor to do your crushed granite installation to achieve a good quality work at a reasonable price. If you do not know where to turn for a quote, consider quote search engines such as HomeAdvisor.com.
- You may also save on the installation cost by securing a lawn maintenance service.
- Be sure to check that the landscape contractor does his work using appropriate materials and proper installation methods in order to avoid maintenance problems in the future.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|