How Much Does a Custom Cake Cost?
A custom cake is something that you can have mace if you are looking for a present for a friend or loved one and really want to give him or her something unique? You can always show your love or gratitude to someone with a personalized present such as a custom cake. What makes a customized cake extra special? A custom cake will simply show your creative and unique side. You can create your own design and greeting and even match it with the personality of your friend or loved one. Custom cakes can be made at home using special tools and frosting, or you can have one made at a bakery near you. No two custom cakes are alike, so the possibilities are endless.
How much does it cost?
- A custom cake may cost different depending on the location. Other factors that can affect its cost are the size, flavor, design, type of cake, skill and experience of the baker, and the store or bakery. Typically, bakeries are going to charge by the serving or size of cake with a minimum purchase required. On average, be prepared to spend around $2-$4.50 per serving of specialty cake, with a minimum purchase of at least $50. Keep in mind, though, that some bakeries may charge a lot more than this rate if they are in demand or even known as a celebrity.
- Most 8″ to 12″ cakes should be around $45 to as much as $225.
- 3D cakes can cost anywhere from $125 to as much as $300, depending on the size. This price range is typical for around 50 servings or so.
- At Tracissweetsurprises.com, for example, custom cakes start at $3.50 per serving with a minimum cost of $75 or about 20 servings.
- Meanwhile, according to oakleafs.com, the minimum single tiered cake order is $100 while the minimum cost for a multi-tiered or sculpted custom cake is $200. Custom cakes cost $3 minimum per serving plus $75 per hour for decorating.
What is going to be included?
- The cost of a custom cake may include the cost of the ingredients, labor, the cake design and materials or supplies such as the topper. It may also include the cost for handling, packaging, and delivery of the cake.
- Because it is a custom cake, you will get to make all the decisions about flavors, sizes, shapes, and decorations.
- A custom cake includes various types, design, flavor, and sizes. From the classic butter and vanilla, to the all time favorite chocolate cake and even other flavors like mocha, strawberry, blueberry, red velvet, and black forest, among others. When it comes to a customized cake, the sky is really the limit.
- Specialty cakes should also have options such as fruit or cream filling between layers.
- Depending on the bakery, most custom cakes will take up to 48 hours to process.
What are the extra costs?
- There may be extra costs for the handling, packaging, and delivery of the custom cake especially when you buy them online. You can ask the store or bakery regarding the additional costs so that you can prepare beforehand.
- Additional costs may also be required if you wish to have extras on your custom cake such as additional flavors, toppers/designs, layers, or additional cupcakes.
- If you do not give the bakery enough notice for your specialty cake order, you may be charged a fee for a rush order.
- If the bakery has to come up with a design, they will often charge $40-$80 per hour.
- Each additional tier can add an additional $100 or so to the overall price.
- Delivery fees can apply if the cake has to be set up.
Tips to know
- Visit bakeries near you or go online and do some research on your own. Gather prices and then compare them versus the quality so that you can get the best deal eventually.
- To make your present even more memorable, you can opt to match the design with your friend or loved one’s personality, hobbies, or party theme. For example, if she or he is into music, consider a guitar or piano shaped cake for the occasion. Use your creativity to select the best cake design.
How can I save money?
- You can save money if you decide to bake and design the custom cake yourself instead of ordering it from a bakery or store. You can find many tips on baking and designing online.
- Instead of making the cake truly unique, consider looking through a book the bakery already has. Most of the time, they are willing to make small changes for a fraction of the cost of a custom cake.
- If you are insisting on a custom cake, consider bringing in your own design. As stated above, most bakeries are going to charge an hourly rate to design something up for you. You should also bring your own cake toppers, such as candy, figurines, etc.