How Much Does a Custom Exhaust Cost?
The exhaust system of a vehicle is designed to quiet the sound created by the engine. It also helps reduce the temperature so that the car does not overheat, and the exhaust helps to control the emissions so that there is less pollution in the air. Those who own antique cars or even a performance based vehicles find that their car looks a lot better and more unique with a customized exhaust system. These customized systems can be made to order and can fit the overall look of the vehicle. If you want to give you car that extra edge over other cars, a custom exhaust system is the way to go. The cost depends on the type of material, make and model of car and the mechanic performing the job.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of a custom exhaust, on average, is going to cost anywhere from as little as $250 to as much as $800. Dual exhaust systems and performance based exhausts that are aluminized or made from stainless steel can cost upwards of $800. One of the main factors when it comes to the pricing is the make and model of the car as well as the type and quality of the custom exhaust system. This given price range is going to be without any sort of professional installation.
- For a middle of the road custom exhaust plus installation, plan on spending less than $400.
- According to a forum thread on the website BimmerForums.com, most users stated that you should not pay any more than $500 for the complete job.
- On the other hand, Zilvia.net stated that labor and materials should not cost any more than $350 for a basic exhaust system.
What is going to be included?
- Common exhaust types can include x-pipes, y-pipes and h-pipes. With some vehicles, the muffler will be mounted in the back, known as an axle-back. The only difference between an axle-back and the traditional cat-back is the length of the tubing.
- Popular brands include Flowmaster, Dynomax and Magnaflow.
- Installing a customized exhaust can include pipe bending and special welding. The situation will depend on the specific make and model as well as what needs to be done.
What are the extra costs?
- Usually, the installation of the exhaust will be an additional cost to think about. Most of the time, the labor should be less than $100.
- As mentioned above, exhaust systems made from a premium material such as stainless and aluminum can cost 30-50% more.
- Purchasing the exhaust from an online store can lead to additional shipping fees. This should not be more than $50.
- For those that want to do the job on their own, special tools such as a welder will be required.
- If you want to come up with a very unique design, you might consider hiring someone to help you with it. This could result in a design for of about $100.
Tips to know:
- Consider talking with a mom and pop mechanic before you head to a franchise shop. With any car repair or add-on, always try your best to get at least three to five quotes. Most shops are more than happy to provide a free estimate for their work.
- A bad exhaust can hurt the performance of your car. A unique exhaust system will not only fit the make and model of your car, but it can also improve the performance as well as the look and feel.
- Because a custom exhaust system is an add on to the car, any problems will it will most likely not be covered under the manufacturer’s warranty. As soon as you change something on the car, the warranty will be void. Try to find a shop that will offer a warranty on their work so that if something should go wrong, the repair will be covered.
- Although some people are looking to get a custom exhaust system for a cheaper price, others simply want a high quality one that will fit the car perfectly. If this is you, you should consider going straight to the dealer. This will ensure that the exhaust will go perfectly with your car’s engine, and it may also mean that the new exhaust system will be covered under the warranty.
How can I save money?
- If possible, try to shop for the exhaust yourself online. From there, talk with a few shops in the area to see what they are going to charge for installation only. Most of the time, shops are going to make the most money from charging more for their parts.
- For those who are going to buy the exhaust system themselves, consider checking secondary markets such as eBay and Craigslist.
- Installing a custom exhaust system is not very difficult if you have some knowledge about mechanics. Consider asking a knowledgeable friend to help you with the installation.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|