How Much Does Cylinder Honing Cost?
Cylinder honing is the process of honing that is done to the cylinders of a car. Honing is the process of taking a tool, which can come in different abrasive stones, with which a piece of metal is held against the stone and given a texture. Most metal that is used in cars or other common items is honed, meaning that when you look at it and feel it, it is not perfectly smooth and shiny. Sometimes, you may need to “hone” the cylinder of your vehicle so that it works well. What exactly is cylinder honing? Cylinder hones are basically used to hone brake cylinders, clutch cylinders, and most round cylinders of vehicles. This is necessary for not only the cylinders to work correctly, but also for them to stay lubricated. So if you think that your cylinders need some honing, you should take them to the nearest car shop now and have them checked by a professional mechanic.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of cylinder honing can vary due to a lot of circumstances. For example, the location or state, the number of cylinders that need honing, the difficulty of the process, labor, and the standard rate of the car shop may directly or indirectly affect the cost. Also, the make and model of the vehicle will determine the size, type, and number of cylinders which, in turn, can affect the cost. On average, the process should cost around $15 to as much as $55 per cylinder/hole. However, some jobs can cost a pinch more.
- On the other hand, cylinder hones can be fairly cheap in price, around $5, or they can be more expensive, amounting to hundreds of dollars. This is according to dansmc.com.
- Budgetenginerebuilders.com, for instance, charges $10 for a hone only and $15 for a bore and hone. A “bore” refers to the drilling of a new hole or boring out the existing cylinder.
- If you want to do the honing yourself and you need a honing tool, these can come in many shapes, sizes, and prices. These tools can range from $30 to $150 at your local auto parts store, hardware store, or online provider.
What is going to be included?
- The cost of cylinder honing may include the cost of the honing itself, the materials or equipment used, and labor costs.
- Cheaper cylinder hones are usually used for cleaning up a spot of rust or breaking the glaze. Meanwhile, the expensive ones can accurately bore a cylinder to accept the next oversize piston or even go bigger.
- Honing a cylinder includes mild or wild honing. Mild honing is used if the cylinder is within the specifications and you only need to put in a new set of rings, you must hone the cylinder to break the glaze and then have a crosshatch pattern in the cylinder walls. Wild honing is used to bore a cylinder to a bigger size.
- The purpose of honing your vehicle’s cylinders is to ensure that the cylinder joints staying working properly. The grooves and texture that are formed in the honing process will hold oil to lubricate the piston and rings.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional services aside from cylinder honing may also require additional costs. For example, the cost of reboring is around $50 while piston and rings cost another $30. A hot tank can cost another $20-$40. Keep in mind that many mechanics will want to perform hone and bore at the same time.
- There may also be extra costs for rental of equipment and purchase of materials and supplies that are used for cylinder honing. This may cover the cost of handling, shipping, or delivery if the materials and supplies are bought online or from other areas.
- Most professional mechanics can perform this job in as little as an hour. However, if it takes a lot longer for some reason, you may need to consider renting a car for the day so you can resume normal activities.
Tips to know
- Shop around for the cost of cylinder honing. You can visit car shops, call them up, or do some research online to get price estimates. This will enable you to compare prices and services and eventually get the best deal. Most will be more than happy to provide an estimate online.
- If you do not have extensive knowledge of your car and its engine, you should leave cylinder honing to the professionals. Each car can be slightly different and if it is not done correctly, you can easily cause more damage rather than help the problem.
How can I save money?
- With any car repair, make sure that you get at least three quotes from reputable mechanics. By doing so, you should be able to find one that can work with your budget.
- If you know how to do small repairs on your car, consider doing the job on your own.