How Much Does Deadbolt Lock Installation Cost?
A deadbolt is going to provide more security for both home owners and business owners. A dead bolt is a rotating lock cylinder that makes a door more resistant to opening without a key. While most new doors come with a deadbolt, there are older doors that may not be equipped with one. Whether a fresh install needs to be made, or a previous install needs to be updated, the cost of deadbolt installation is going to vary depending on the location, complexity of the job, as well as various other factors.
How much is it?
- On average, a locksmith is going to charge a service charge minimum no matter what job is performed. A service charge is going to vary anywhere from $35 to as much as $65, depending on the company.
- If a deadbolt has already been installed in the past and a new one needs to be installed, a locksmith will generally charge anywhere from $15 to $45 to replace it with a new one.
- If a new deadbolt hole has to be installed, the fees can range from $55 to $125. This job will generally take a handyman or locksmith up to 30 to 60 minutes to complete the job.
- If a deadbolt has to be re-keyed and not replaced, the cost can be anywhere from $10 to $25 per door.
- Overall, plan on spending anywhere from $75 to $215 for the complete installation process of a deadbolt.
What are the extra costs?
- A deadbolt can either be purchased through a locksmith, through various home improvement stores, or it can be purchased online. Deadbolts can range anywhere from $25 to as much as $300 or more for a high tech version.
- If the entire door has to be cut to size, additional fees may apply depending on the amount of doors as well as the complexity of the job.
What is going to be included?
- A locksmith will be able to recommend deadbolts that meet your budget. A deadbolt will be installed by either installing a new hole, or by replacing the old deadbolt with a new one.
- During the procedure, a locksmith will either install a new hole or if a hole already exists, a new lock will be installed. If a hole hasn’t been installed, a new hole will be drilled and cut. After it has been cut, the deadbolt will be installed properly.
How can I save money?
- Consider installing the deadbolt yourself. If a deadbolt was already there, it is a very easy process that can be done. By bypassing the locksmith, you will be able to save up to $50 to $100 or more. If you have to cut a hole for a deadbolt, there are resources online that can assist you with what needs to be done.
- If you are going to have more than one door deadbolt installed, be sure to let the locksmith know as they can offer discounts on a per door basis.
- If you want to hire a professional, consider using services such as Service Magic to find the lowest quote in your area.