How Much Does Debarking a Dog Cost?
Debarking a dog is a surgical procedure that many veterinarians perform. During this process, the vet will remove the dog’s vocal cords to permanently reduce the volume of their bark. This process not only has many risks, but it has also been outlawed in countries such as the United Kingdom since many activists find this procedure to be inhumane. The cost of this procedure is going to greatly depend on the vet performing the procedure and geographical location.
How much is it?
- On average, the surgical procedure itself is going to cost anywhere from $375 to as much as $700. Keep in mind that many vet offices may not perform the procedure as they find that is highly unnecessary. When talking with a vet, they will recommend many other alternatives such as a bark collar.
- According to the website DogBarkingResource.com, the cost of this procedure can range anywhere from $50 to as much as $500.
What are the extra costs?
- Medication as well as follow up appointments will be recommended when the procedure has been done. Due to the complexity of this surgery, the dog will more than likely have to stay in the hospital for up to 3 days.
- Also due to the complexity of the surgery, scar tissue can come back causing blockage in the dog’s throat. If this happens, surgery will have to be performed again.
- Depending on the vet office, general anesthesia may be charged in addition to the vet examination fee.
What is going to be included?
- This procedure is performed through the dog’s mouth. Using a biopsy punch or a type of scissor, the vet will make an incision through the throat and larynx. This will all be performed under general anesthesia. When this surgery is performed, a dog will still be able to bark – it will simply be quieter.
Tips to know:
- This procedure still allows the dog to communicate, but the dog won’t bark as loud as before.
- While other strategies such as shock collars and debarking devices can work, many find that this can lead to stress for a dog. Vets have found that not only is this procedure painless, it’s going to be a lot better than training a dog any other way.
- As mentioned above, not only will the dog still be able to bark and communicate, you will no longer have to worry about bothering neighbors or other people around.
How can I save money?
- This procedure should be the absolute last resort. In fact, many experts do not recommend it at all. There are many various barking devices that can train your dog not to bark when it is not supposed to. Barking devices can cost anywhere from $20 to $100 or more. Keep in mind that training your dog too much with one certain procedure may cause more stress than normal. Talk with your vet for more information.
- Talk with a local obedience class to see what they can do for your dog. You will find that these classes can teach your dog tricks that will discourage them from barking in the future.