How Much Does Deer Processing Cost?
A professional deer processing service will process the entire deer that includes skinning and processing the meat into cuts such as hamburger, steaks and sausage. The cost is going to greatly depend on the processing company, what you want to have cut, the size of the deer and geographical location.
How much is it?
- On average, processing the deer itself is going to cost anywhere from $65 to $165. This will not include processing it into premium cuts such as a hamburger, jerky, etc.
- Brats and Sausage can cost anywhere from $1.75 to $4 per pound depending on the type of sausage. Some popular types include Italian and Smoked Polish Sausage.
- Summer sausage that is shrink wrapped can cost anywhere from $9 to $17 for a 3 pound stick, or $12 to $22 for a 3 pound stick that includes cheese and/or jalapeno.
- Snack sticks or jerky can cost anywhere from $4 to $8 per pound.
- Hamburger can cost anywhere from $0.65 to $2 per pound. Adding additional flavors such as bacon into the ground hamburger can increase the price tag.
- Bacon can cost anywhere from $4.50 to $7 per pound.
- Lunch meat such as Bologna can cost $0.95 to $2 per pound.
- For example, Edgeley Meat located in Edgeley, North Dakota, charges $79 for the skinning, boning, cutting and wrapping, as well as $1.49 a pound for fry sausage and $1.59 a pound for smoked sausage.
What are the extra costs?
- Disposal of the carcass may be an additional charge that can range from $5 to $15.
- Some processing companies may charge extra to vacuum seal and wrap items such as sausage. This can cost an additional $0.25 to $0.50 a pound.
- Tenderizing may be included in the overall processing fee, but this is not always the case. If the processor does this on the side, it may cost $15 to $35 extra.
- Many processors can tan the hide and return it for a small fee.
- Mixing in additional flavors with the meat may cost extra depending on what you prefer. For example, adding cheese to the sausage sticks may bump the price up $1 to $2 extra per pound.
What is going to be included?
- The processing of the deer is going to include the skinning, cutting, as well as wrapping and tenderizing of the cuts. When you arrive at the butcher, you will receive a sheet to fill out what you would like done. Each item will be priced depending on the weight. Once processed, each cut will be organized and shrink wrapped so that you can take it straight to the freezer.
How can I save money?
- Deer processing services are widely spread throughout areas that are known for hunting. Check with 2 to 3 sites either by phone or online. Most are more than willing to give you a quote right away.