How Much Does a Desktop Computer Cost?
A desktop computer is a personal computer which, unlike laptops, is intended to be used in a single location. The reason why this is the case is due to the larger size of a desktop computer and that the important components, which are the CPU, the monitor, and the keyboard, are all separate unlike laptops. A desktop computer can be fitted with accessories and devices of varying features such as graphic cards, additional memory, monitors, and more. These devices vary by performance and capabilities, depending on what is installed onto the computer. The cost of a computer is going to greatly vary depending on the brand, the specifications of a computer, the features, and more.
How much is it?
- On average, a desktop computer can cost anywhere from $250 to as much as $2,000 for the tower alone. Packages that include the monitor and other gadgets such as a printer/scanner are going to cost extra. Average purchases are going to fall within the $200 to $900 price range.
- Desktop computers that include a keyboard and mouse and enough capability to surf the Internet as well as send e-mails are going to cost anywhere from $300 to $500. These desktops are generally ideal for word processing, as well as running smaller software packages that do not require a lot of memory. For example, the eMachine EL1252 retails for $259 to $330.
- Desktop computers that have 1 to 3GB of memory as well as a hard drive with more than 250GB of space are typically going to run anywhere from $400 to as much as $800 or more depending on the manufacturer.
- Mini desktop computers that take up less space than a traditional desktop computer can cost anywhere from $300 to $800. For example, Apple sell its Mac mini for $500 to $1,110 depending on the specifications of the unit.
- Higher end gaming desktops, such as the brand Alienware or the Dell XPS series, can cost as much as $2,000. Gaming desktops are designed to have a higher refresh rate as well as enough memory to run highly powered games at a higher speed.
- A retail store such as Best Buy sells desktop computers with different specifications. One type of desktop computer that is quickly gaining popularity is the all in one computer, which has an integrated CPU built into the monitor. Best buy sells desktop computers that range anywhere from $250 to $1,800.
What are the extra costs?
- There are several devices that you can buy for the computer and since there are upgrades that are necessary, you will have to keep your computer up to date with the latest parts. These parts can include the video card, RAM, and hard drives. These devices can cost anywhere from $100 to as much as $800 for a higher end device such as a graphics card.
- Desktop computers are all in one devices, and one of their capabilities is document printing. You will need to buy a printer to do this; printers can cost up to $250.
- General maintenance and software may be needed in the future if anything happens with the computer such as a virus or system malfunction. It is not uncommon to have a part such as a power supply shut down.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the package that you purchase, a desktop computer can include all of the necessary parts such as the monitor, CPU and keyboard. It will also include an operating system,which is necessary to make the computer run.
- Manufacturers will list all the specifications that a particular computer will have such as the memory, processor speed, hard drive capacity, and more.
- Many manufacturers have hotlines that you can call in case of questions or problems.
Top brands to consider:
How can I save money?
- Choose a desktop computer that will suit your lifestyle. Base your choice on your specific needs since computers have different specifications. If you game a lot, then consider spending $1,000 or more on a desktop.
- Use deal forums such as SlickDeals to find coupons as well as hot deals online for a desktop.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the package that you buy, a desktop computer can include all of the necessary parts such as the monitor, CPU and keyboard. It will also include an operating system, which is necessary to make the computer run.
- Sometimes it can be less expensive to purchase all the parts of a computer and build it yourself. If you have the ability to do this, consider it an option.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|