How Much Does Deworming a Dog Cost?
Deworming a dog is a procedure that involves the removal of parasitic worms that live inside your dog. These worms feed on the nutrients that your dog is supposed to be getting, which in turn makes them sick. There are different types of worms that can live inside your dog, and depending on the condition, the deworming procedure can be different. One of the most common ways to deworm a dog is by the use of medicine. The cost of deworming a dog will depend upon the type of procedure, the veterinarian working with the dog and geographical location.
How much is it?
- Medicines can range anywhere from an 8 in 1 dewormer that controls and removes different types of worms, to canine dewormer for small dogs. On average, the price for medicines can range anywhere from $8 to $100. Prescribed medicine is generally going to cost more than an over the counter (OTC) medicine.
- For example, the popular product Sentry HC WormX Plus manufactured by Sentry retails for $39 to $55.
- An online store such as EZPetSupply.com sells a wide range of pet supplies aside from medications. The price for deworming medicine through a store such as this one ranges from $8 to $90. These include chewable medicines that have flavor for your dogs to intake easily.
- Bringing a dog or puppy to a professional vet can cost anywhere from $15 to $45 per session. This generally will not include other expenses such as the initial examination fee.
What are the extra costs?
- Before you can give dewormers to your dogs, you need to remember that they have different reactions to different types of medicines administered to them. It would be best to consult a veterinarian to get a diagnosis of the situation. An examination fee alone can vary anywhere from $40 to as much as $100 or more depending on the location.
- Some medication will require more than one dosage. Because of this, it may be required that more prescriptions are purchased in the future. The size of the dog can greatly determine the dosage that the dog needs to take.
- Name brand medication is going to cost more than the off brand, so be sure to talk with your vet to see if they can prescribe off brand medication to help offset the costs.
What is going to be included?
- Deworming medication is taken orally either by liquids or in a solid pill form. Once applied, the medication will do its best to attack the intestinal parasites that include roundworm and tapeworm.
How can I save money?
- Don’t buy these products at the first store you see; look for the store that can sell dog dewormers at the lowest price. There are sites that sell the products at a discounted price if you buy them in bulk or if you meet the minimum purchase requirements to get the discount. It is best to talk with a veterinarian if you are unsure of what medication to purchase.
- Worms can be very deadly for a dog. If you think that your dog has any type of worms, it’s best to meet with a vet.