How Much Does Diabetes Test Cost?
A diabetes test is used to determine whether or not a person is a diabetic and in need of treatment. There are many different diseases and conditions that can manifest in the same way through the same syptoms. This is why we need to visit the doctor for professional advice. Your doctor will perform different tests according to your symptoms. This can pinpoint the cause of the illness to better understand and treat it.
Most of the people who have diabetes are not even aware they have it in the first place. Sometimes the symptoms can be mild and not life altering, and therefore people ignore them or do not notice them. A diabetes test is performed by collecting different specimens such as blood, saliva or urine. The sooner a person finds out that he has diabetes, the better the chances of the proper treatment being prescribed to them.
How much is it?
- Because there are different types of test to determine whether you have diabetes, the price will vary from test to test. There are also several options of where to get the test done: it can be done in your doctor’s office, in a clinic, or at the hospital. Each of these locations will charge a different amount. There are also diabetes tests that you can adminster in the comfort of your own home.
- To have a test completed a local hospital or doctor’s office, the prices can range anywhere from $300 to $600 without insurance. Those that have health insurance will more than likely have the majority of the test covered.
- On average, a diabetes test that can be taken at home can range anywhere from $5 to as much as $40. For example, the One Touch Ultra Blue Mail Test can retail for $25 to $50.
- TotalDiabetesSupply.com is an online store that sells test kits. The site offers different brands of test kits that have different features, and these can be purchased for $25 to $35 depending on the number of kits a box contains. These kits have at least 50 test strips that you can use.
What is going to be included?
- A home diabetes testing kit has several features that are beneficial to the person purchasing one. Some of them can even provide results in as fast as 5 seconds. Most strips that are used must not be touched since they are sensitive, but there are some kits that include touchable test strips and are suitable for all ages.
- If you are getting the test done in a doctor’s office or clinic, the staff will administer the test by taking a sample of your blood or urine. Getting the test done this way is ore accurate and can give more details as to the severity of your diabetes.
What are the extra costs?
- After you have taken the test and it indicates that you are positive for having diabetes, you will have to visit the doctor and have regular check ups.
- Another added cost to be considered is the medicine that you will have to take to maintain the level of insulin your body produces.
Tips to know:
- Once you find out the results of the test, it would still be best to visit your doctor. If the test results show that you are either negative or positive, a doctor would be able to tell you whether or not the results can be accurate.
- Taking the at home tests can sometimes be a waste of time; if you visit your doctor and tell him that you tested positive in a OTC test, he will most likely make you get tested in his office anyway.
- If diabetes runs in your family, you should get tested more frequently than those that have no history of the disease. Diabetes can develop as you age, so just because you tested negative one time does not necessarily mean you are out of danger.
How can I save money?
- There are different test kits that can tell you whether or not you have diabetes, and this means that there are several brands sold at different prices. Shop around and buy test kits sold at a lower price.
- Test kits are often sold in boxes and the number of test kits in a box would vary. Sometimes, you may buy more than what you actually need. Buy test kits that can provide you enough strips but not too many since unused strips will go to waste.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|