How Much Does a Dishwasher Cost?
A dishwasher is a machine that does the work of washing your dishes for you. Instead of having to wash each dish and piece of silverware manually, simply load each item into the dishwasher, add the soap, and let the machine do the work. There are some things that are considered not to be dishwasher safe, and these items will still need to be washed by hand. However, the majority of things that you would normally wash in your sink can be put in the dishwasher, saving you and lot of time and hassle.
How much is it?
- The cost of a dishwasher will depend on the size of the dishwasher, the brand, the features, settings and where you purchase it from. On average, plan on spending anywhere from $250 for a basic unit to as much as $800 for a more advanced unit. For example, the Amana Standard Tub Dishwasher that is highly rated retails for $400 to $500.
- A freestanding dishwasher that is not built into the countertop can retail for $175 to around $600. Most freestanding dishwashers can range anywhere from 18″ to 26″ in size.
- A countertop dishwasher, which is set on top of your counter, is used for those who have no room a dishwasher elsewhere in the kitchen. These can retail for $200 to as much as $900 and will usually be quite a bit smaller than others. For instance, the SPT countertop dishwasher that comes in a white color retails for $250 to $300.
- US-Appliance.com is an online store that sells different types of appliances. This particular store sells different types of dishwashers manufactured by different companies. The dishwashers offered have different capabilities that are priced anywhere from $500 to $1,200.
- Another store that sells dishwashers is Sears. The dishwashers sold on this site also come from different manufacturers and they are sold at different prices depending on the brand and capability. The price range for the dishwashers sold on this site is from $652 to $1505.
What is going to be included?
- Each dishwasher has several capabilities that make it very convenient to use. It has different components to make this possible which includes detergent dispenser, multiple door positions, and different washing cycles depending on the items being washed.
- Dishwashers make it quick for your plates and utensils to dry since they have drying options that uses heat or simply air. Depending on the model that you get there can be several drying options available to the user.
What are the extra costs?
- One of the additional costs that can come when buying a dishwasher is the installation of the dishwasher into your kitchen. It will need to be connected to your water lines and the gas line. Some stores will include this in their pricing, while others may not. Installation can start at $100.
- You will also have to purchase dish washing liquid to put into the dispenser. There are also drying agents available to give you dishes an added shine.
Tips to know:
- Dishwashers can be a very expensive investment. If you have a small family and are not actually in need of a dishwasher, it may be best to save the money for something you need more.
- Dishwashers can hold several dishes at a time, although you need to consider the price of larger capacity dishwashers. If you have just a small family, just purchase a smaller sized dishwasher.
How can I save money?
- Consider purchasing a dishwasher used. Local classified ads such as Craigslist can often display dishwashers that still work and allow you to save money.
- Try to find a retailer that will include the installation with the price. By getting free installation, you can save a few hundred dollars.