How Much Does a Divorce Lawyer Cost?
A divorce lawyer is needed in the case when a married couple decides that they want to separate and dissolve the marriage. A divorce terminates the legal union of a couple, legally dissolving the bonds of matrimony. A divorce should be certified by a court of law, and this is the reason that people hire divorce lawyers during the proceedings, especially if complications arise. Some divorces can be messy, and divorce lawyers will help settle any disputes regarding property, children, etc. Divorce lawyers specialize with these type of cases and help their clients with resolving and finalizing the separation legally.
How much is it?
- Lawyers can be very expensive and their rates can vary from one location to another. If you live in an urban area where cost of living is high, the prices will be higher compared to divorce lawyers available in rural areas. The lawyer’s skill and ability will also play a factor in the price that they will charge. The price would also vary whether or not the divorce is uncontested.
- While divorce lawyers have a very wide range of price, from $1,000 to $75,000, the average cost of divorce in the United States is $15,000. It can vary depending upon on how long the court sessions are going to take, the amount of assets involved, and the complexity of the divorce. Lawyers will normally charge per hour, but they can also charge for specific things such as court appearances or paper work.
- Divorce lawyers usually belong to a firm and they are located all over the country. In Houston, for example, RamosFamilyLaw.com specializes in cases that involve domestic issues. They offer services for couples wanting to be divorced, and the price of their services range from $500 to $1050 for an uncontested divorce. The price can change if the couple has children or if there are funds that need to be taken care of as well.
- The Family Advocacy Support Team offers low cost solutions for couples seeking divorce. Their fee is usually based on the annual income of the family. They have free services for couples earning $10,000 or less annually. Those who earn more may be charged between $200 and $500 plus court costs.
What is going to be included?
- Divorce proceedings depend heavily on whether both parties agree to the divorce. If the divorce is uncontested, there will most likely be a flat fee for the services since the process will go as usual. This fee should be split between the husband and wife unless other arrangements are made.
- Divorce lawyers will also have a different set of services depending on family conditions. If there are children, real estate, or retirement funds involved, the price of the service may vary.
What are the extra costs?
- When a person files for divorce, there is an appropriate filing fee involved that will be charged on top of the services the divorce lawyer offers. The usual fee for filing usually ranges from $200 to $ 500 depending on the location of the filed divorce.
- If you file a divorce in another location and you acquire the services of a divorce lawyer from your area, they may charge an additional amount for their services which can start at $200.
- If the divorce is contested and you plan on fighting for items, the court case will probably take a lot longer than normal, costing you thousands of extra dollars.
Tips to know:
- If there are misunderstandings between the couple filing for divorce regarding properties, they will have to settle it in court. However, issues of this kind can be resolved during mediation to avoid further investments involving lawyers.
- A couple should make sure that divorce is the only solution to their problem since there are more people that will be affected than just the couple. They should factor in the future of their children and the divorce’s effects on them should they decide to separate permanently.
How can I save money?
- If a person has decided to file for divorce, he should file the proceedings within their area. Most lawyers charge extra if their services were acquired but the divorce had to be filed somewhere else, especially out of state.
- An affordable lawyer does not automatically mean quality service. Make sure that you check the reputation of the lawyer to make sure that you are getting the most out of their services. When searching for a lawyer, try using services such as LegalMatch to help you find one.
- As mentioned above, if you meet certain income requirements, some organizations can assist with the divorce and charge next to nothing.