How Much Does DJ Equipment Cost?
A DJ, short for disc jockey, is an important part of any party. DJs provide the right atmosphere such as the lights that they display and the music that they play. However, the job of a DJ would not be possible without all of the accessories and equipment that is used. DJ equipment consists of several accessories that are connected together. This begins with the DJ turntable and continues all the way to the speakers. A DJ’s setup can consist of different pieces of equipment that perform various functions.
How much is it?
- There are several accessories that make up the DJ equipment and each can be manufactured by various companies. Depending on the quality of the equipment, the price of the accessories can be different as well. Another factor considered in determining the price of DJ equipment is the brand name of the equipment.
- DJ equipment will usually include mixers, turntables, speakers, synthesizers and software packages.
- Mixers are priced anywhere from $60 to $2,000. The mixers vary from table top mixers to pioneer mixers. Turntables can range from $60 to $200. For example, the Audio Technica AT-LP 60 retails for $80 to $160.
- Software controllers can cost anywhere from $60 to $500 while the cases for these controllers are priced $70 to $90. Computer keyboards can cost anywhere from $60 to $270.
- Speakers and subwoofers range from $30 to $600.
- The total price range of DJ equipment will depend on what you want in terms of quality and brands. On average, to start out as a successful DJ, it is best to budget at least $1,500 to $3,000 for a great start up package.
- PlanetDJ.com is an online retailer that sells DJ controllers and speakers. They also carry DJ turntable packages that include all of the equipment required for the set up. The price for the packages that they offer cost from $200 to $1,000.
What is going to be included?
- Each piece of the DJ equipment offers various features and capabilities. For example, the mixer allows you to control the different sound levels while the turntable is the main source of sound and is where vinyls, CD players, and Ipads are mounted.
- If you purchase a package of DJ equipment, it will include all of the necessary accessories that you will use for basic DJ setup. However, this option will limit your capability to choose which brand of equipment you can buy unless the store from which you bought it allows you to swap for different types of equipment.
What are the extra costs?
- Each of the pieces of DJ equipment will need to be purchased separately unless you purchase a package. If you purchase the equipment separately, however, you will be able to have the flexibility of choosing the type of equipment that you purchase rather than buying the same brand of everything.
- High-tech mixers can include iPad and iPhone add-ons. If you do not have these types of MP3 player devices, it is best to factor in these additional expenses.
Tips to know:
- DJ equipment can be expensive since there are a lot of accessories that you need to purchase before everything comes together and works. You may want to consider buying a package so that you can hook it up and it will be ready to be used.
How can I save money?
- If you are just going to use the DJ equipment for a single event, you can consider renting or hiring event organizers that can provide DJ services. YOu should only buy DJ equipment if you are considering a career in this industry.
- If you have your heart set on purchasing equipment, highly consider purchasing it used. Online classified websites such as Craigslist offer great used equipment that can save you more than 50 percent.