How Much Does a Dog License Cost?
A dog license registers the dog and its owners with the state or city in which they reside. These dog licenses have many purposes. First of all, most pet owners are very attached to their pets; if the pet gets lost, the pet license can lead the finder back to the owner of the dog. Second, getting each dog licensed is a great way to ensure that there are not stray dogs running around. If a dog is not licensed, it can be picked up and taken to the pound until its owner is found or it can be adopted. Third, this licensing process has been assessed as a law in most areas; because of this, dog owners in many states can be fined with a hefty penalty if the dog is not licensed or registered with the state or county.
How much does it cost?
- Cesarsway.com states that dogs that have not been spayed or neutered will be expected to pay a higher fee to get a license. However, on an average level, the range of the cost to get a license is only around $10 to $55.
- For instance, Burlington, Vermont charges $26 for a spayed/neutered pet and $46 for a pet that is not spayed or neutered.
- The length and time of the license frames will depend on the owner. Most dog licenses will need to be renewed about every year. Some states allow you to pay for multiple years at a time with the understand that if anything happens to the dog, there will be no refund of your money.
- Most laws state that dogs over two to four months of age have to be vaccinated against rabies before they will be given a license. This is to ensure that in the case of a dog bite, rabies will not be spread.
What is going to be included?
- Licensing has become a part of dog ownership as this can help in the identification of the dog. Usually, the licensing process will also indicate that the animal has had the necessary vaccinations that will protect it from diseases as well as doing harm to others, including you.
- Stainless steel tags are issued to the pet owner, and these can serve as the proof of ownership to the animal.
- If the dog is lost, the county/city will do its best to get the dog back to you within a certain time period. If they cannot get ahold of you, the dog will be kept at the shelter for a certain number of days until claimed.
What are the extra costs?
- Late fees for delayed registration of the animal are one of the added expenses that you may encounter. This fee will usually depend on the number of days that the application has been delayed.
- Proof of spaying and neutering is often necessary to help decrease the costs of the license. However, the costs of having these procedures done can will definitely cost you.
- Renewal of the dog license is required every year. Typically, longer terms can also be applied for at a higher rate but with a good discount overall.
- If the dog is found without its license, tickets and impounding fees can be issued, depending on the offense. Each offense can cost anywhere from $50 to as much as $500.
- Most counties will require that you renew your license annually for the same price range mentioned above.
Factors that influence the price:
- The age of the dog is often a major factor that will affect the price. As there are laws that state a dog must be registered at a certain age, and the later you apply for a license, the higher the charges will most likely be.
- Discounted rates are offered for those owners whose pets have been neutered and vaccinated from rabies and other diseases.
- Senior citizens are also offered a discount for dog licenses.
Tips to know:
- It is best to consider the long term licensing as you will certainly get to save more money on this aspect.
- The fees you have to pay for the licenses may be quite high, but the penalties of not having a license could be higher.
- A lifetime license is the best choice. This type of license is good for the entire life of the dog. Depending on how many years your dogs lives, this could be a great deal or a rip off. Either way, it will save you the hassle of having to renew the license every year.
- Get copies of the different certifications that your pet has had the right vaccinations.
- There are many perks to having your dog licensed. This can include a free trip home, longer care at a shelter, support for the local community, and helping to reunite you with your lost dog quicker than a dog that does not have a license.
How can I save money?
- The best way to save money on your dog license is to do it as quickly as possible. The later you pay your pets’ license, the higher your charges will be. Plus, it is best to pay attention to your veterinarian as they always have the right idea on what works and what does not.
- Most counties and cities have set prices. With that being said, do not skip out on the licensing because it may come around to bite you in the future.
- If you adopt a dog through an animal shelter, you may be able to have the license rolled in with the adopting fees. This will make the actual license much cheaper.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|