How Much Does a Door Ding Repair Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
A door ding is a very common thing that can happen to a car. Dents and dings are some things you just cannot prevent when it comes to your car. A door ding can happen in many different ways. There a times that you may open your car and hit someone else’s with your door, or something like a rock could hit the car and cause a dent. There are many people who are able to just ignore these small marks since they have no bearing on the car’s stability, but there are others who are just meticulous and want small things like this fixed right away. The cost of a car door ding repair will come down to the company performing the job, the make and model of the car, and the size and severity of the ding.
How much does it cost?
- On average, most car dings are going to be the size of a quarter or half dollar and most of these simple jobs will not require any paint. In most cases, a professional body shop will probably charge around $75 to $185 to fix a simple ding that does not require any paint. For instance, a Ford Fusion with an unobstructed open door ding and dent could be repaired for only $159.
- For instance, the company CertifiedAutomotiveCare.com offers a paintless dent removal and door ding repair for around $75 to $ 150. If your car has multiple dings and dents, it is going to cost around $150 to $500. On average, plan on spending around $100 per ding the size of a quarter.
- A forum thread on the website MBWorld.org, a member stated that he had his ding repaired at a dealership. He only paid $150, and the ding repair did not require any paint.
- Dings and Dents, another company online, claimed that they could repair a door ding for around $75 to $125.
What is going to be included?
- If the dent or ding is minor, an auto repair shop will offer a paintless dent removal. It will remove the dents and dings with the use of a special tool that pushes the dent or ding back out. Several technicians may also do some manipulation so that the metal could go back to its original appearance.
- If you are paying for the dent repair that requires a scratch to be fixed or new paint to be applied, the body shop will wax and buff the area until the scratched area can be painted over again. More often than not, a scratch and paint job can be considered an additional cost.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs would occur if there are multiple dents and dings. Generally, the more dings you have, the cheaper each one will become. Each additional ding will cost a minimum of $75, on average. So with five dings, plan on spending around $100 to $150 for the first ding and $75 for each one after.
- Scratches and paint jobs required outside of the ding can cost extra. The prices will depend on the amount of work that has to be done. For example, a small scratch that is less than a few inches could only cost $100 to $200.
- Some companies can perform smaller jobs on the spot. For mobile services, plan on spending 20% more.
Factors that influence the price:
- Severity. A dent as big as the size of a golf ball could be repaired easily. However, the dent as big as a basketball may require a different option of repair. Not all dents could be repaired with a paintless dent repair.
- Location. If the ding is near the gas tank or hard to reach area, the price can be more.
- Number of dings and dents. If you have more dents, there is a price increase per dent or ding repaired.
Questions to ask:
- How long does the door ding repair takes?
- Does your work guarantee 100% satisfaction?
- Will the dent or ding ever come back?
- Do you handle insurance claims?
How can I save money?
- Consider an insurance claim for the car damage. Make sure that the auto repair shop you go to caters to insurance claims. If the repair is less than $100, you may be better just paying out of your pocket since your deductible is probably more than that. If you need a new car insurance policy, websites such as InsureMe.com can offer competitive quotes.
- Ask for an estimate for the door ding repair with different auto repair shops. Compare the prices they offer and the services offered. Generally, by talking with three companies, you can get a good idea of what they are going to be able to charge.
- Painting your entire car would be costly. Ask the auto repair shop if they could remove the ding without getting rid of the original finish of your car.
- Small car dings are actually rather easy to get rid of. Consider repair kits online. These kits can be purchased for less than $40.