How Much Does a Double Oven Cost?
A double oven is a combination of two ovens, usually one stacked on top of another. Depending on the model that you choose, there may be two sets of knobs to control the ovens or each oven may have its own. A double oven is thought by some to be a necessity in the kitchen. Rather than a traditional oven and stove top that has limits to how much you can cook, a double oven allows you to increase the productivity of your food preparation. There are many different types of double ovens and each one offers different features. Most of double ovens feature the ability to have separate cooking temperatures and settings or they can cook things simultaneously.
How much does it cost?
- On average, a double oven without installation will cost anywhere from $1,200 to as much as $3,000. Most of your higher-end double ovens will be made of stainless steel.
- A double oven that stands alone and is not installed in a wall can retail for $1,100 to $2,600. For instance, the 30″ Freestanding Electric Double Oven by Frigidaire retails for $1,400 to $1,700.
- On the other hand, a built-in double oven can retail for $1,400 to $3,000.
- At Howard’s Appliance and Flat Screen Superstores, you will find the largest brands of ovens like Frigidaire, GE, Whirlpool and KitchenAid. Here, you can purchase a Whirlpool 27 inch combination microwave-wall oven for $2,300.
- At BestBuy.com, you can get a stainless steel GE built-in double convection thermal wall oven for $2,999.99. KitchenAid, on the other hand, offers a built-in double convection wall oven made of stainless steel for $3,000.
What is going to be included?
- A stand alone double oven has two separate ovens that allow simultaneously cooking. A stand alone range can either come as an electric or a gas model.
- Most models contain 2 to 6 adjustable oven racks with a self-cleaning system that includes an auto-latch. They also have all the features of a traditional oven, with settings such as baking, broiling, and convection.
- Besides the double oven, you will also be provided with a warranty. This warranty should last at least a year and should cover manufacturer defects. If a problem arises, the manufacturer can either replace the oven or a repairman may be sent to your home.
- The store may also include product delivery and installation. All retailers have their own policy.
What are the extra costs?
- You can have your product protected by many retailers. For instance, Best Buy offers a 2-year Protection plan for $259.99. You could also opt for a 4-year protection plan for only $429.99. If you do not want to use a retailer’s protection plan, consider using reputable third-party companies such as SquareTrade.com.
- If you wish to have some specialty installation, such as installing a double oven into the wall, it is going to cost you more. Plan on an installation charge that ranges from $100 to $300.
- A range oven is one that offers an oven as well as a stove top. A double oven does not offer a stove top, and therefore one will need to be purchased separately.
Factors that influence the price:
- Brand. Brands that managed to build up a good name such as GE and Whirlpool tend to have more expensive double oven. Their products have managed to stand the test of time and proved that their products are durable, so the higher cost may be worth it.
- Size. Double ovens come in different sizes. The bigger the oven space you need, the more expensive your oven becomes.
- Gas vs. Electric. On average, a gas range will often cost more than an electric model.
- Type. Stainless steel can cost more than a basic model that comes in white or black colors. A built in range can often cost a pinch more than a stand alone model. Again, this varies on brands.
- Features. Each oven can boast different features. The more the features the oven offers, the more expensive it will be.
Tips to know:
- Know the kind oven that you need. You could choose from three different ovens. You could choose a slide-in, drop-in or freestanding oven. The type you choose will be based on the type of cooking that you do.
- Look for a self-cleaning or continuous clean oven. That way, it would not be difficult for you to maintain a clean oven. The cleaner your oven, the better it will work and longer it will last.
- The ideal cooking power should range from 5,000 to 12,500 BTUs per hour. Any oven that offers lower cooking power does not deserve your attention.
How can I save money?
- Consider energy-saving double ovens. The operation cost of using a double oven should not be that expensive, but an energy efficient one can make a small difference.
- Keep your eyes peeled for sales with major brick and mortar stores. Places such as Lowes and Home Depot often have 10% off appliances.