How Much Does a Double Pane Window Cost?
Double pane windows are windows with two layers or glass to provide extra insulation. These are sometimes referred to as insulated glass or insulated glazing. The process used to make these types of windows is referred to as insulated glazing. The space between the two panes of glass is filled with air or gas to reduce the transfer of heat. More and more home owners are getting double-paned windows because, according to home improvement experts, double-paned windows can save more energy and money. The Department of Energy shows that 25% of the heating and cooling costs for every household have reduced remarkably. Double-pane windows save more money because they can decrease the usage of energy during the winter and summer. Not only that, but the use of double pane windows helps save the environment because you no longer have to burn the extra fossil fuel. As a result, greenhouse gas emission is decreased.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of double pane windows really comes down to the size, quality and the brand that you are looking to purchase. On average, a double pane window alone can cost anywhere from $150 to as much as $1,000.
- The average double pane windows, not the highest or lowest quality, will cost around $300 to $500.
- A higher-end window made of a wood casement could cost upwards of $1,000.
- Lowes.com has more than 200 double pane windows for sale on their website; the prices of these range anywhere from $95 to as much as $700.
- According to an article found in HomeAdvisor, the cost of double pane windows may be around $600. The cost could go up to $850 if you wish to get the best quality double pane window available on the market.
What is going to be included?
- A double pane window is built with a single frame that can be separated by 0.5 to 0.75 inches. Containing inert gasses, these windows are designed to reflect the heat in one direction, helping create a strong layer of insulation.
- Most windows come with a warranty that can last up to 10 years.
What are the extra costs?
- Extra costs may be added if you wish to make the windows customized. Most double paned windows will come in a standard size. If you need to have them customized for a certain opening, the costs may go up by more than 30%.
- Shipping the double pane windows to your location is an added cost.
- Labor costs will be additional if you are not going to do the installation yourself. On average, it can cost upwards of $50 to $150 per window to have the windows installed. To find a qualified contractor in your area and receive multiple quotes, consider using free services such as HomeAdvisor.com.
Factors that influence the price:
- Quality: The price of a double pane window varies depending on the type and quality of the material used.
- Number of windows: You cannot just buy a single window for your home unless only one has to be replaced. The number of windows depends on the energy savings you desire to achieve. Generally, the more windows you buy at a time, the cheaper each one will be. This is true for the price of installation as well.
- Style of home: The style of your home determines the number and size of windows needed.
- Window design: Each window design has different characteristics and purpose.
- Materials used: There are different materials used such as aluminium, wood, vinyl and even fiberglass.
Tips to know:
- The price of installing a double pane window depends on the skill of the contractor. An additional 5% to 10% cost is added for a complex installation.
- Double pane windows can help reduce energy by more than 20% in the winter months. In the summer, these windows reduce the amount of heat let in, and in the winter they reduce the amount of heat the escapes the house.
- Do not hit windows with high pressure streams of water. It will cause your windows to break. If you are power washing your home, try to avoid direct contact with the windows.
Questions to ask:
- What are your installation prices?
- What is the glass from the double pane window made of?
- How long does it take for you to finish making the windows? (If you are custom ordering the windows)
How can I save money?
- Have the installation of your double pane window done by a licensed contractor. While it is tempting to do it yourself, a bad installation job can lead to higher energy bills rather than lower.
- Buy your windows in bulk. Several companies offer a reasonable price if you purchase and have all your windows installed at once.
- Check local home improvement stores and see if they have a sale on double pane windows. Depending on the time of the year, you may be able to find particular brands on sale.
- Upgrading windows may be costly, but if you sum up your heating and cooling costs, you are better off replacing your windows soon. The windows can end up paying for themselves if you give them enough time.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|