How Much Does a Dryer Belt Cost?
One of the most common problems that occur with many household dryers is the belt. Generally, when you hear a long banging noise or you have noticed that your dryer no longer spins, it may be time to replace the dryer belt. The dryer belt is not that hard to install, and the price of the belt is going to vary depending on the make and model of the dryer.
How much is it?
- On average, the dryer belt is going to cost anywhere from $3 to $10 for the belt. For example, a Whirlpool dryer belt can retail for $5 to $8.
- Going directly to the dealer itself or the manufacture can cost anywhere from $15 to as much as $40 per belt.
- A dryer repair kit that includes all the items necessary to repair the belt can cost anywhere from $20 to $39. These kits will come with support wheels, the pulley, and belt. For example, a Whirlpool dryer repair kit can retail for $24 to $33 depending on the size of your dryer belt.
- To have a professional come out to your home, plan on spending at least $50 to $99 for the service fee alone. On top of that, the repair company will charge two to three times more for the belt. Overall, a professional can cost in the ballpark of $175 to $295 for the complete process.
- According to this Metafilter.com forum thread, some users claimed that it’s best to replace the belt yourself since the job is rather easy. If you have to call out a technician, many claim that they have paid anywhere from $70 to $150 for house call alone.
What are the extra costs?
- A professional company will charge extra if they find that other problems with the dryer. The belt is not always the problem. A common part that needs to replaced with the belt is the motor. The motor part alone can cost upwards of $150.
- A dryer kit is going to cost more than the belt. Make sure that you need the belt before investing into an entire kit or calling up a company.
What is going to be included?
- A dryer belt is designed for specific models. Be sure to look at the packaging to ensure that it fits your dryer. Many belts are universal so that it will fit all models.
- The dryer belt will come with general instructions regarding how to install it.
How can I save money?
- Consider replacing the dryer belt yourself. There are many resources online that you can take advantage of to replace the belt at home. Keep in mind that with this particular part, there isn’t much you can do in order to screw up.
- If you are going to hire a professional, use services online such as Service Magic. A company like this will allow you to compare quotes in your local area with a click of a button.
- Consider going to a second hand shop or purchasing one online. Purchasing a belt directly from a dealer will result in a higher price tag.
- Before making the purchase, make sure that your dryer isn’t under warranty. If under warranty still, all parts will be replaced for free.