How Much Does a Dryer Motor Cost?
|Need a pro near you? Get multiple quotes for free online. Get your quote now >>|
The dryer motor is responsible for rotating the tumbler, which is the large cylinder that spins while the clothes are drying. Dryers rely a lot on their motors to function fully. When a dryer motor ceases to work properly, it will need to be replaced before the problem worsens. There are thousands of dryer motor options available in the market today. Choosing the right one to replace a malfunctioning unit is vital not only to ensure the dryer’s efficiency but to make certain that the price paid is worth it. It is also important to find a dryer motor that fits the make and model of your dryer.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on the model and make of the dryer motor, the costs of a dryer motor are going to range anywhere from $40 to as much as $200 for the part only.
- To have a professional tech come out to replace the dryer motor, plan on budgeting at least $125 to $300 to complete the whole job.
- The prices of different dryer motor brands and models at Amazon.com range from $42.95 to $119.80. Whirlpool dryer motors cost $42.95 to $72.95, while Maytag dryer motors cost $74.97 to $119.80. GE clothes dyer motor and Amana dryer motor cost $108.95 and $74.97, respectively. Replacement dryer motors cost $55.97 to $62.88.
- At Pcappliancerepair.com, an appliance repair company in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, offers clothes dryer motor options that cost $24 to $196. Most of the dryer motors offered are manufactured by Jenn-Air.
- At Repairclinic.com, various dryer motors are available at different price levels, such as a drive motor compatible with a range of appliances such as stoves, ovens, and washing machine, which costs $42.50. Another drive motor unit consisting of a motor, a pulley assembly, and a dryer costs $394.35.
What is going to be included?
- Depending on the model, a dryer motor is obtainable in different brands, models and product number. Dryer motors may be in AC (alternating current) or DC (direct current) models. A single type of dryer motor assembly is applicable to several part numbers. For example, a motor assembly with part number 2200376 made available by Whirlpool is the manufacturer replacement for part numbers 502368, 40099801, 40048501, 501211.
- Depending on the type, a dryer motor may have a 1-5/8 inch long blower shaft and 1-1/4 in. long drive shaft. Also, there are some units that come with a set screw.
- If you choose to hire professional to install the dryer motor for you, he will come to your home, take apart and replace the dryer motor, and then move the dryer back into position. Once he is finished, he will test the dryer to ensure that the new motor is working properly.
What are the extra costs?
- Some items may need to be purchased when getting a new or replacement dryer motor. These include a motor pulley, which costs about $25 and is often used on certain Maytag gas and electric dryers. Other items include a motor coupling, which can be bought for about $10 to $12, a dryer blower ($9), and a dryer repair kit ($43).
- If the repairman notices anything else that needs repair while he is replacing the motor, you may need to pay extra to fix this.
Factors that influence the price:
- Type of motor. Dryer motors can be bought in AC (alternating current) or DC (direct current) type. A dryer with a DC motor is typically lighter and cost less, but it often needs to be replaced every once in a while. DC dryers are suitable for home use.
- Source. Dryer motors are obtainable in a wide array of part numbers at various dealers and shops. At some suppliers, certain models with the same part number from a particular brand may come more expensive. For example, a motor assembly with part number 279827 costs $63.59 at PCApplianceRepair.com and $89.95 at MarBeck.com.
- Labor. In some cases, the dryer motor will need to be installed by a serviceman. The hourly rate of the professional will depend on the geographic location and the extent of the problem.
Tips to know:
- Always make sure to get the right part number before purchasing a new or replacement dryer motor. This model number can be found in the manual of your dryer, or it can be read on the dryer motor itself.
- Dryer motors are usually compatible with a range of brands and models, but always make sure to ask or find out what type of dryer will suit a particular dryer motor.
- Be sure to check if the dryer motor meets OEM (original equipment manufacturer) form, fit, and function standards.
How can I save money?
- Compare dryer motor prices at various online shops and local dealers to find the best price possible.
- Shipping charges can be expensive at some suppliers. When shopping online, make sure to be aware of the shipping costs involved and compare them with the fees offered at other sites.
- If the repair price is too high, you may want to consider purchasing a new dryer instead.
- If you think you are capable, try to replace the dryer motor yourself. There are many instructional videos online that can walk you through the process.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|