How Much Does Dryer Repair Cost?
Dryer repair may be necessary since the daily use of a dryer can eventually result in the malfunctioning of the machine. Normally, an appliance comes with a warranty that ensures the product does not break down soon after purchase. The repair process can entail a simple or complex repair job depending on the type and extent of problem. If this repair is necessary after the warranty has expired, the cost of repair services for a dryer can be high, so it makes sense to ensure that the services rendered are worth their value.
How much does it cost?
- On average, most technicians are going to charge around $50 to $85 for a service call. Most dryer repair jobs should not take any longer than one to two hours. If parts are required, this will be considered an additional cost. However, most dryer problems can be fixed for less than $250.
- According to Homewyse.com, the average cost of dryer repair is $253.52 to $275.34 per unit. The rate depends on factors like average material costs, unit labor productivity rates, and national average hourly labor rates. Rates are on the high end for projects that require rush work or complex procedures.
- According to Dcu.org, repair costs are generally less than half the price of a new dryer. Service calls made to report machine malfunctions and breakdowns cost from $75 to $100.
- Aceapplianceinc.com in Toledo, Ohio, offers appliance repair services at $59.99 on general brands. Their technicians use the Major Appliance Service National Price Guide when pricing and quoting an appliance for repair. The company offers repair services 15% below the national price guide. The service company provides same-day service and does not charge extra for evenings and weekends.
What is going to be included?
- Getting repair services for a dryer typically includes making a service call to a professional who evaluates the unit and makes an accurate estimate of the total cost involved as well as materials that may be necessary to complete the job. The repair expert usually works either on a fixed price or hourly basis, depending on the service provider’s terms.
What are the extra costs?
- A service call to get a precise estimate of repair expenses can cost $75 to $100. If the repair of the appliance is pushed through, the service call fee is usually credit toward the cost of the total repair.
- No matter how the repairman charges, whether by hour or job, the price for parts is going to be extra.
Factors that influence the price:
- Replacement parts. In many cases, replacement parts for a dryer are costly and can significantly increase the overall cost of the repair job. For example, dryer parts like heating elements can cost up to $50 each, while dryer driver motors can cost $100 to $300 and up.
- Contractor fees. General contractor fees for repairing a dryer can vary from one location to another and the extent of the dryer problem. Hourly rates can also vary in different locations.
- Materials. Different materials will be needed during a dryer repair task. Service professionals also have varied terms when it comes to materials. Some will charge separately for required materials, while others will include the cost of materials in their quotation.
- Fixed costs. Many service technicians typically render a flat rate to diagnose a dryer problem and will charge additionally for parts and labor. Appliances these days have more electronic components and circuit boards than those made in the past, and these parts can be considerably more expensive than mechanical components.
Tips to know:
- Before calling a service professional, check the warranty of the dryer. The repair costs for units that are still under warranty are often covered by the manufacturer or store.
- Make sure to choose a service provider who employs licensed technicians since they can accurately determine the cause of the problem, provide a detailed quote, and render quality services as required.
How can I save money?
- If your dryer needs to get a part replaced in order to function again, consider the cost of this particular component and compare it with the age of the dryer. In many cases, getting a brand new dryer is a more cost-effective option than paying for repair services.
- Check for repair coupons and deals online. Many appliance repair service providers offer free analysis and costs for repair and replacement jobs. Make sure to find the lowest price possible.
- Some online service companies offer online repair specials every now and then, with some offering up to $20 off any completed appliance repair.
- Call the dealer or store where you bought the dryer and ask about possible repair services. In certain instances, stores offer lower repair rates than professional service companies.
- Use online resources to troubleshoot the cause of the problem of the dryer. Some problems can be simple to identify and repair by doing a little research on your own.