How Much Does a EGR Valve Replacement Cost?
The exhaust gas recirculation, also known as ECR, is a nitrogen oxide emissions reduction technique that is in diesel and gas engines. The EGR valve is the part of the engine that is opened or closed in order to admit exhaust to the intake tract if certain conditions are met. The EGR valve is triggered by reference to vacuum within the carburetor’s venturi.
How much does an EGR valve cost?
- On average, an EGR valve replacement cost can be anywhere from $220 to as much as $400. This will all depend on the make and model of the vehicle. Engines are specifically designed for certain types of vehicles and the different parts of an engine are also designed for specific engines. The price of the engine part depends on the type of vehicle you have as well as the make and model of the vehicle for the engine.
- A standard EGR valve can cost anywhere from $235 to $354. The standard valve can work in many makes and models. Before purchasing one, however, it is always best to ensure that your make and model will be compatible.
- With parts and labor, the costs can range anywhere from $475 to $700. This will all depend on the location and make and model of car.
- Auto Parts Warehouse is one of the many stores that sell EGR valve replacements as well as other engine parts. This online store sells an EGR valve replacement for different makes and models of automobiles. For example, one type of EGR valve replacement that they sell is designed for the Toyota Tundra. The EGR valve for the 1995 to 2004 model can be purchased for $246 to $290.
- According to a question on the website AllExperts.com, a user claimed that he received a quote for $230 to replace the entire EGR valve.
What is going to be included?
- EGR valve replacements usually have different parts that can consist of hose connectors, mounting holes, and gaskets.
- The manufacturers can guarantee that the products are free from defect or material workmanship for the period of up to 12 months or more.
What are the extra costs?
- Replacing the EGR valve should be a breeze for skilled mechanics; if you do not have the skills to replace this part of the engine yourself, you will need the help of a professional mechanic. This will be an additional cost since you will be charged for the labor. Labor shouldn’t cost no more than $150 to $250 outside of the parts price.
- Several warranties can be chosen depending on the customer. These are extended warranties that can be purchased from the store. The warranties sold usually have a period of 3 years to a lifetime.
Tips to know:
- There are several parts of a vehicle that is manufactured by different companies. Keep in mind that there may be cheaper varieties, but the quality may be low.
- Try to find parts directly from the manufacturer of the vehicle; they will be able to provide brand new parts that are more durable than others. However, they may be more expensive.
- Mechanics often think the EGR valve is bad, but when in reality, it isn’t. Ask the mechanic what kind of code they received when performing a diagnosis on the machine. There are times when the EGR may be faulty. If this is the case, the problem may not have to be resolved. Instead, it may just need a simple cleaning.
How can I save money?
- If you know someone that knows how to replace the EGR valve, like a friend or relative, try to ask for their help instead of hiring someone to do it for you.
- OEM parts may require a larger initial investment, although the parts will definitely be guaranteed by the company and they can last longer than what others manufacture.
- If you are choosing to purchase the extended warranty, try to purchase this from the mechanic instead of the manufacturer of the part. If this is offered, it will cover the part as well as the labor.