How Much Does an Electronic Keyboard Cost?
Although electric keyboards are unable to give quite the same sound quality as a real piano, some people prefer them because of their features and capabilities. For instance, most electric keyboards have many different instrument sounds and well as recording capabilities and drum beats. Most keyboards also allow you to play with headphones. If these features of a keyboard are more important to you than the quality of sound, then an electric keyboard is the best option.
How much is it?
- An entry level electric keyboard, one with 61 keys, will cost $50-$200. For example, a 61-key keyboard manufactured by Elegance will cost about $65 while the Yamaha EZ-200 will cost about $190.
- An intermediate piano, usually with a total of 76 keys, can cost $150-$400. Casio makes a 76-key keyboard that comes with a stand, headphones, and power supply for $300.
- A full size keyboard, one with all 88 keys, will cost $300-$700 depending on the brand and features as well as what it comes with. For example, the Yamaha DGX-505 can be purchased for $650.
- For example, a popular brand such as the Casio CTK-2100 retails for $119 to $250. This particular model comes with 61-keys, 400 high-quality tones, 150 rhythms and a voice pad that allows the player to play sampled sounds.
What is going to be included?
- Most keyboards come with just the keyboard and the power supply, while others are offered for cheaper if you also purchase a stand and headphones.
- Some more advanced keyboards have computer software and hookups included.
- Name brand keyboards may come with a limited warranty that can last up to a lifetime.
What are the extra costs?
- If you purchase your keyboard online, you may have to pay shipping and handling costs.
- If the keyboard you decide to purchase does not come with a stand, one will need to be purchased.
- In order to play the keyboard comfortably and at the right height, you will need a piano bench. These can cost $30-$75.
- A foot pedal that simulates the sustaining of the notes the way the pedal of an actual piano does can be purchased for your keyboard.
- While many keyboards may come equipped with a stand, some don’t. A keyboard stand can cost anywhere from $10 to $50 depending on the quality.
- While optional, players may want to purchase a set of headphones for those that either want to hear the tones closely, or for those that want to play in a quiet setting.
- A piano pedal can be an add-on for some electronic keyboards. This pedal will give the feel of an acoustic piano. For example, an add-on pedal such as the M-Audio SP-2 retails for $19 to $30.
- Additional accessories to consider include an amplifier, groove boxes, cases as well as additional cables and AC adapters.
Tips to know:
- An electronic keyboard should be small enough so that you can tote it around. Consider purchasing a keyboard that is light weight.
- Consider purchasing a higher tech keyboard such as one that has a MIDI controller. This type of controller would allow the user to hook up the keyboard to the computer to record and edit sounds.
- Always be sure to play the keyboard in person before making the purchase. This will give you a good feel on how it plays.
Top brands to consider:
How can I save money?
- Electric keyboards that have been properly handled and cared for can be purchased for much cheaper than a new one. Amazon has a large selection of used keyboards.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|