How Much Does Elf Ear Surgery Cost?
Elf ear surgery is a cosmetic procedure that make the ears come to a point rather than be rounded. The surgery can be done in two different ways. First, a person with a birth defect that affects their ears can have this surgery to get the condition reversed. Second, this surgery may be performed for those who decide that they want elf ears as a personal choice. This trend became popular with the release of The Lord of the Rings movies and from famous characters such as Mr. Spock.
How much is it?
- Elf ear surgery either means having the elf ear removed or reshaping the ear in the form of an elf ear. The price of the surgery will depend on the type of procedure, the surgeon performing the procedure, the complexity of the case, the billing inclusions and geographical location. On average, this type of procedure can range anywhere from $1,500 to as much as $7,600. Because this is deemed a cosmetic procedure, medical insurance companies will not normally cover the procedure.
- RealSelf.com is a website that is very helpful and informative since the information that they offer comes from different people that have undergone the procedure as well as the surgeons that perform elf ear surgery. The price for the elf ear surgery according to this website can range anywhere from $3,400 to $6,500.
- One artist online who is able to perform elf ear surgery to make the ear tips pointed is Russ Foxx. He offers a lot of body modification procedures including elf ear surgery. The price for the procedure he offers can range from $1,500 to $30,00.
What is going to be included?
- Before you undergo elf ear removal surgery, the plastic surgeon will perform evaluation and assessment of the ears. He will then identify the best method to perform the procedure and will share this information to you.
- Those who would like their ears shaped like elf ears have the option to discuss with the body modification artist how they want the elf ears to look. Elf ears can be long or short, thin or wide – what looks the best may depend on the shape of your face and your natural ear. The artist should be able to provide pictures of the different options; these pictures may even be of satisfied customers of his, showing his experience and credibility.
What are the extra costs?
- After the procedure has been completed, keeping the affected area clean is mandatory, and this can be achieved through the use of antibiotics and other medicines that the doctor will prescribe to you.
- If having the surgery done by a plastic surgeon, you will need an initial consultation with the doctor. After the surgery, you will need a follow-up appointment to make sure that the ears are healing properly. These visits will most likely incur office fees.
Tips to know:
- If you have elf ears and you do not feel comfortable with it, you can make style changes such as hiding it with long hair rather than having surgery. It is still an option for you to have it corrected, but try to find ways to hide this fact without spending a lot on surgical procedures.
- For those thinking of having elf ears, you need to realize that this is a permanent procedure. Cosmetic surgery is a radical decision to make and should only be done after careful consideration. This feature might be fascinating at first but it can be damaging in the long run.
How can I save money?
- If you have your mind set on getting elf ears, you could try prosthetic elf ears before resorting to surgery. These are much cheaper, can be fit in many different ways, and they allow you the option of choosing when and when not to wear them.
- If you have a birth defect and are getting the surgery done to correct it, there may be a chance that your insurance company will cover the procedure. If so, you may only be responsible for a co-pay or deductible. Check with them before you schedule anything.