How Much Does an Embryo Transfer in Cattle Cost?
Embryo transfer in cattle is a procedure done to multiply the number of cattle in a program to expand the herd or meet market demands. Beef is probably one of the most sought after meat in the market today. With several countries eating beef, there can sometimes be a short supply of the meat. When beef is in short supply, the cost of the meat can rise significantly. Because of this, there have been ways developed to ensure that there is enough beef to go around and one of these methods is known as embryo transfer in cattle. This technology makes it easier for cattle herders to double the number of cattle they can produce; however, the technology of this procedure is still developing and changing.
How much is it?
- There are different facilities that can provide embryo transfer in cattle. These facilities provide the procedure which requires several steps to complete. When you have embryo transfer performed to the cattle, they will be injected with multiple doses of hormone to stimulate and multiply the ovulation in the cow from which the embryos will be taken. The price will usually depend on the facility that will perform the procedure.
- On average, plan on the price of embryo transfer to range anywhere from $300 to $700 per session. Again, this is going to widely vary depending on the location and service performing the procedure.
- If you are unaware of how this procedure is performed and what to expect when it comes to how much the service will cost, you can visit different websites that can offer information regarding the whole procedure. For instance, Cruachan Highland Cattle shows information regarding the complete procedure which can help people understand what goes on when this process is performed. According to their site, the cost of having embryo transfer in cattle can cost anywhere from $300 to $500.
- Embryo Transfer Service Ltd is another website also shows plenty of information regarding embryo transfer in cattle. Their services vary in price anywhere from $300 to $600.
What is going to be included?
- One of the best things that you can get out of this procedure is that it multiplies the offspring of the farmer’s best cattle. The farmer will be able to get multiple breeds of the same cattle which may be the best cattle that they have. This can provide them with a lifetime’s production of the cow.
- During the procedure, the donor cow will be inseminated up to four times. After seven to nine days, the cows embryos will be extracted from the uterus. Upon extraction, the embryos will be inspected and if they pass, they will be frozen.
What are the extra costs?
- Additional costs involved when you have embryo transfer in cattle performed are the hormones and the drugs that must be given to the cattle. These medications are priced at $200 per donor.
- Some services may charge a transfer fee of $50 to $100 per donor.
Tips to know:
- Several purposes have been achieved by doing embryo transfer in cattle. Some of the benefits that you can get when you have this procedure done is you can get up to ten progeny per year from the best of the cattle that farmers have.
- You should also consider having this procedure done to your cattle if you want to extend the productive life of older cows which are incapable of carrying another calf.
- There are chances that top genetics can be introduced into the farmers herd which can help improve the quality of the cattle in the farm.
- Because technology in this field is still being developed, the price and procedure could change very often.
How can I save money?
- To save money when your cattle is undergoing this procedure, you should try to search for different facilities that will perform it. Each can perform it at different prices and will be more than happy to offer a quote over the phone.
- With most services, the more donors you supply at one given time, the more you will be able to save.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|