How Much Do Engagement Photos Cost?
Engagement photos are done to remember the first moments on your official path to marriage. Like any other photo shoot, these photos can be taken virtually anywhere. Engagement photos are often taken to be placed in wedding invitations and if an ad is placed in a local newspaper.
How much does it cost?
- The cost of engagement phots will depend on the number of photos taken, the number of locations you need to go to, the geographical location and photographer taking the photos. Usually, photographers charge $75 to $100 per hour for a photography session.
- On average, plan on paying anywhere from $100 to $1,000 for the entire shoot. This will not include the photos at the end, but only the photographer’s time.
- CapturedRadiancePhotos.com, a site dedicated to taking engagement photos, offers different packages at different prices. The prices range from $99 to $600, depending on the hours of the photo shoot and the inclusions. The $99 package, for instance, only includes an hour of photography in the studio while the $600 package includes 2-3 hours of time in the studio or at any desired location.
- UpperEast.com is another site that is dedicated to providing engagement photo services. On this site, it is reported that a professional photographers’ prices range from $100 up to $1,000 or more, depending on the photographer’s rate, the methods of taking the photos and other factors.
What is going to be included?
- Each photographer puts packages together in different ways, and therefore the inclusions you may get will vary from one package to another and one photographer to another. Aside from the hours of photography (held in studio or outside location), most decent packages include mounted print ready photos, a high-resolution photo CD of images from your photo session, and re-prints of the photos if needed.
- According to euanhenry.com, the engagement photo shoot is usually booked 2 to 3 months before the wedding. However, this can be adjusted depending on your schedule.
- Once you and your professional photographer agree on the package and the pricing, you can start shooting for your engagement photos at the most convenient time available to both parties.
What are the extra costs?
- Since prices depend on the packages, you will likely pay for the whole price without extra charges. However, if you want to make other arrangements with your photographer such as the number of hours of your photo shoot and the special out-of-town location, you will pay more.
- After the photo shot has been completed, it is up to you to choose a photo package. Photo prices will greatly vary depending on the type of photos you want, such as 8x10s, 4x6s, etc. Plan on paying at least $100 to $300 for a package of printed photos. Individual pictures can also be purchased, but it is cheaper to purchase the ones you need in a package rather than pay for them separately.
Factors that influence the price:
- The rate of the photographer, which depends on his skills, experience and quality of outputs.
- The package you will choose prior to the actual engagement photo shoot.
Tips to know:
- Provide your photographer with honest feedback about the photos taken. Your constructive feedback will help him achieve the photos you want for your wedding day if you will be using the same one.
- Do not sign with a photographer for both the engagement and the wedding until you have seen his work. If you like the way he did your engagement pictures, hire him to do the wedding at that time.
Questions to ask yourself and your photographer:
- What makes a good engagement photo?
- How much time will the photographer spend on producing the engagement photos?
- What is the best time of the day to shoot pictures?
- Is it better to opt for digital over film? Is there any difference in the photos?
- Do you have any portfolio where I can see the older photos you have taken?
How can I save money?
- Opt for the engagement – wedding photography packages. By doing so, you are minimizing the expenses and the hassles of finding another photographer for your wedding. Most photographers will give discounts and favorable package deals when you opt to do the wedding photos with them too.
- Choose digital over film photography since digital is known to be economical. You cannot possibly take hundreds of pictures in film and choose the best ones after. Doing so would not be so friendly to the budget. But if you have a very discerning eye, you must go for film. If the photographer allows it, ask them for the digital files so that you can print them out at home or a photo lab.
- Engagement photos do not have to be fancy! Ask some friends or family members to help take the photos with a nice digital camera.