How Much Does an English Bulldog Cost?
An English Bulldog is one of the many breeds of dog that families may choose to have as a pet. Having a pet, specifically a dog, gives many benefits to the owners. Aside from the protection dogs give to their masters, they are also known to give affection and loyalty that no other animal in the planet could match. The English Bulldog is usually chosen by those people who are somewhat educated about dogs in general. Although this type of dog is not that cheap and would require extra care and attention, more and more animal lovers are choosing them.
How much does it cost?
- As has been mentioned, this type of dog breed is expensive. In fact, Bullwrinkle.com stated on their site that it can cost $2,000-$3,000 to breed, deliver and raise a litter, without consideration for the time invested. Because of the costly and delicate procedure of raising English bulldog puppies, each one would cost around $1,800.
- YourPurebredPuppy.com reported that English bulldog breeders normally charge around $1,000 to $1,500. The expense is attributed to the costs of the breeding process and the C-sections done on the mother.
- The same price range is also supported by the forums on the site Bulldogbreeds.com. English bulldog puppies cost $1000 to $2,500, depending on the breeders’ location.
- Overall, if you are interested in purchasing an English Bulldog, it is best to budget anywhere from $1,500 to as much as $3,000 for a puppy that is younger than six months old.
What is going to be included?
- You can purchase English bulldogs from reputable breeders all over the country. Although you can always buy puppies through the internet, it is better to see the breeding facility in person. Take a look at the general health of the dogs and the parents of the puppy you want.
- Once you decide to buy the puppy, you will be given instructions on raising it after you have signed the necessary papers. Reputable breeders will include all of the necessary paperwork and, if available, the AKC papers.
- If you opt to buy through the internet, there are a lot of risks entailed. However, you can reduce these risks by using a reputable puppy finder company. By doing so, you are eliminating the chances of being scammed, charged unfairly, or given a dog with health problems.
What are the extra costs?
- Shipping fees. Buying English bulldogs online is a common trend. If you opt to do the same, you should be aware that there will be fees for the shipment. Other breeders would not advertise the shipment cost, and as a result, you may be quite surprised when you see the high shipping fees. You should always ask for the shipping price upfront, and ask whether or not the dog carrier is included or if you will have to buy that separately.
- Veterinary care. The English Bulldog is known to have some health issues. It is even a common joke saying that “if you want to support your vet with great chunks of money, get an English Bulldog.” This may be proven true since this breed usually suffers from hip, heart, and skin problems. In addition, their compromised respiratory system makes it very risky to anesthetize them. This fact is supported by yourpurebredpuppy.com
Tips to know:
- You should be aware of those breeders that offer “great deals” and “cheap puppies.” You might save money for now, but you will most likely have to pay the cost in the long run..
- Make sure that you get your puppy from a reputable company that is affiliated with the Bulldog Club of America. Contact the local chapter that would vouch for their affiliation.
- Do not support puppy mills! Even though the puppies may be cheaper, you are helping to keep this market alive. Most dogs in puppy mills are poorly cared for, have health problems, and may even be abused.
- Always inquire about the health guarantee of the dog. This must be in a form of writing about the genetic health defects in the dog. A good breeder should include a guarantee that lasts upwards of a year. Anything longer than a year is even better!
Questions to ask to breeders before buying:
- Are you affiliated with the Bulldog Club of America?
- Do you have photos of the parents of the puppies?
- Do you have any reference near my area to whom I can talk?
- Am I provided with a health guarantee for the dog?
How can I save money?
- Always look for reputable breeders. You can get the value of your money if you purchase dogs form trusted breeders. As what have been mentioned, there are breeders that would sell puppies at a low cost yet do not provide you with health guarantees. It would be much wiser to spend a little more on the puppy than have to spend even more through the life of the dog for veterinarian bills.
- If you do not mind adopting, many local shelters may have bulldogs. While they will be older, it is a great way to help a dog in need and save money in the long haul.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing!|