How Much Does Exhaust Installation Cost?
The exhaust system is a vital component when it comes to a vehicle’s performance and power. A significant amount of precision engineering goes into the design and creation of a performance exhaust. A performance exhaust system can enhance a vehicle’s power gains and help it achieve 5% to 20% extra horsepower, depending on the vehicle’s model, engine type, and other modifications. The cost of installing a new exhaust can vary as it can be done as a do-it-yourself task or as a service rendered by a licensed mechanic or auto shop.
How much does it cost?
- On average, the cost to have a professional install an exhaust system can range anywhere from as little as $150 to as much as $500 for the labor only. Some of the major factors that affect the price include the make and model of the car, where it is done, and the complexity of the job. Those who do the job on their own should be prepared to pay $80 to $300 for the parts to complete the job. The average job takes up to six hours to complete.
- The cost to install a Pypes exhaust at Pypes Performance Exhaust in Hatfield, Pennsylvania starts at $75.
- AutoSource LLC conducted a survey in July 2009 to find the average hourly labor rates at service repair facilities nationwide. The hourly labor rates at independently-owned facilities ranged from $61 to $102.75 while the franchise-owned rates were $78.80 to $126.97. The cost of installing an exhaust system depends on location and type of facility. For example, the average cost of installing an exhaust system in Cheyenne, WY, is $80.45 per hour at an independently-owned shop and $95.20 per hour at a franchise-owned facility. Most professional mechanics should not take any longer than three hours to complete the job.
- Users on the forum ClubLexus.com paid anywhere from $80 to $150.
What is going to be included?
- An exhaust system is basically piping inside an engine that works by directing reaction exhaust gas away from a combustion and flow through a cylinder head and exhaust manifold, a turbocharger, a catalytic converter, and a muffler. The exhaust system may include one or more exhaust pipes. Installing or upgrading an existing exhaust system is a moderately straightforward undertaking, but will typically need basic know how and elbow grease, particularly for a do-it-yourself task.
- A custom and performance system installation includes the following components: headers; high-flow catalytic converters; custom pipe bending; “cat-back” systems; true dual exhaust systems; mid-range & ultra performance mufflers; diesel exhaust systems (4”, 5” & 6”); chrome and stainless steel exhaust tips; muffler, exhaust pipe, and tailpipe; catalytic converter; oxygen sensor; air pump; EGR valve; exhaust seals; and vacuum hoses.
What are the extra costs?
- Online purchases for an exhaust system kit normally requires shipping and handling fees, which depend on total amount of orders, location, and type of shipping. Some dealers may charge orders that are less than the minimum requirement.
- Getting a qualified mechanic to install a separately-bought exhaust system kit equates to added fees. The mechanic’s labor fees depend on whether the task is being rendered on an hourly basis or on a fixed charge.
- If other parts need to be replaced, such as the O2 sensor, additional fees can apply.
Tips to know:
- Integrating a set of performance headers to the exhaust system can enable a vehicle to bring out an additional 10 to 20 horsepower from the engine. Through a performance exhaust, the restrictive effects on an engine are minimized, allowing the vehicle to bring out as much of the engine’s power and potential as possible.
- One factor that restricts and makes an exhaust system restrictive and inefficient is when the size of the exhaust pipe is too small. It is very important to choose pipes that are an exact fit. Pipes that are exclusively designed for a vehicle and its engine have an optimum size that helps the engine render exceptional flow and scavenging.
- When shopping around for an exhaust kit, there are three things to take into mind when it comes to material. Aluminized mild steel is a good option, while a better material is a T409 stainless steel. The best choice is a T304 stainless steel. Buy an exhaust system kit manufactured for your vehicle and engine. Choose a fully-integrated system that consists of pipes, mufflers, and hardware.
- If installing the system yourself, make sure to consult the installation guidelines and instructions that come with a new exhaust kit to be sure that all components needed are at hand and that the job is being done accurately.
- If you choose to have the exhaust installed by a mechanic, take your car to a number of shops for a free consultation. Listen to what every mechanic has to say and take note of the rate they offer for the service. To be sure of choosing the right service, it considerably helps to find out what previous customers can say about the quality of their work.
How can I save money?
- Purchase an exhaust system kit from a reputable retailer and have a qualified mechanic install it. Shopping around for an exhaust system does not only help you discover several exhaust options, but it also enables you to find lower prices.
- Consider installing the exhaust yourself. Modern exhaust systems are manufactured so that they bolt right up. There are also fully integrated kits that come with exhaust headers, muffler, and exhaust tips. Installing is often uncomplicated and requires a few tools and an extra hand. Going this route can save you labor costs and charges.
- If you are buying an exhaust system yourself, make sure to choose from trusted brands that have a proven track record in the business. Choose a kit manufactured using quality materials. While it can be costly, it usually functions more efficiently and can last longer, enabling you to achieve savings in the long run.
- Consider local independent shops, instead of the dealers.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|