How Much Does a Faberge Black Widow Brooch Cost?
The Faberge black widow brooch is one of the many fine pieces of jewelry that is offered by the Faberge jewelry company. This company was founded by artist Peter Carl Faberge in the late 1800′s. The company is most famous for the Imperial eggs, a series of lavish Easter eggs created for the Russian Imperial family. The Black Widow Brooch piece has been reported to be an extremely valued item that allegedly costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. The company launched an array of pieces to this collection that ranged in price from $40,000 to $7 million, featuring a spectrum of themes with the collection. However, Faberge denied the reports on spider brooches and dismissed them as untrue. While the company has a range of concepts, Faberge says that the celebrated spider brooches do not fit into any of the ideas they launched.
How much does it cost?
- According to an article at AllVoices.com, an alleged Faberge spider-themed brooch was bought by a pawn shop for $15,000.
- An article at MSNMoney.com Canada said that a pawn shop dealer paid $15,000 for a reported Faberge black widow brooch. Several online reports claim that the brooch was worth around $80,000.
- ThirdAge.com posted a story about an alleged Faberge spider brooch said to cost more than $55,000.
- Overall, a Faberge Black Widow Brooch can cost anywhere from $15,000 to $100,000.
What is going to be included?
- Faberge is a hugely famous luxury jeweler that had its start when Peter Carl Faberge made the widely recognized jewel-encrusted Imperial Easter egg for the wife of Alexander III. Today, Faberge collections feature three themes, with inspirations from Faberge flower studies, Russian fairy tales, and Fauvism and Russian artistic aesthetics at the turn of the century.
- According to Faberge.com, “Fabergé makes the most of the creative freedom offered by the brooch, reinterpreting this most iconic and expressive of jewels for today’s contemporary mood, fashion and style, showing how the brooch can be worn with verve and panache, in unexpected ways and places: the exquisite single sculptural rose petals of Les Fleurs in Les Fabuleuses de Fabergé, emotive and romantic, can be worn one or several at a time, at the waist or scattered across the shoulder.” Whether or not this statement pertains to the black widow brooch or not will never be known.
Tips to know:
- Faberge has denied the presence of a Faberge black widow brooch, stating that it does not coincide with their creative vision.
- On their website, Faberge featured brooches with single sculptural rose petal designs. The brooches, the site says, can be worn singly or several at a time and can be pinned to the waist or across the shoulder.
- The highlighted brooches on the site include the following: Hibiscus Brooch, Black Tulip Clip, Love Rose Petal Brooch, Golden Rose Petal Brooch, Fallen Poppy Petal Brooch, and Eglantine Brooch. The brooches are set in 18 carat gold and silver as well as in white gold. The pieces feature diamonds in different colors including white, yellow, pink, violet, and blue. The pieces are also designed using an array of other gemstones such as opals, sapphires, rubies and moonstones.
- During the days when the Faberge black widow brooch was a popular subject, Google listed the phrase “Faberge spider” as its third most popular search term, with over 25,000 websites referencing the term.
- Faberge the company was relaunched in 2009, 92 years after founder Peter Carl Faberge’s workshop was seized and pillaged by the Bolsheviks, who also took his Imperial Easter eggs. He subsequently fled to Switzerland where he passed away three years later. Reports state that the Easter eggs were sold by Stalin to a number of American collectors to raise Western funds for the government.
- Faberge Imperial eggs still hold iconic status as luxury items even to this day. The reputation is not just for the aesthetic, but also for the brand and story behind them.
How to save money:
- Because the Faberge Black Widow Brooches are such as high-priced item, it may be better to get an imitation brooch. When asked about it, you can tell the story and the background of the piece since it has such a rich history.