How Much Does a Fan Clutch Replacement Cost?
A fan clutch is a device that is found in most cars, specifically for cooling purposes. It is located in front of the water pump and rotates with the help of a belt and a pulley. A fan clutch is engaged when the engine temperatures rise, helping the engine draw air to lower the engine’s coolant temperature. There are various fan clutches ranging from electronically controlled to bi-metallic controlled. Controlling factors include engine oil temperature, coolant temperature, ambient air temperatures, and AC system pressures. Without the fan clutch, the car could easily overheat since there is nothing to cool it down. This can result in a lot of damage done to your car.
How much is it?
- A fan clutch will range from $100 to $300 depending on the model of the car. This is the cost for the parts only and will not include professional installation. The price will greatly depend on the make and model of you car since this is what determines the specific fan clutch that is needed. The cost is also dependent upon the shop that you choose for the repair.
- If your car is displaying some of the above symptoms, then it is time you replaced your fan clutch. It may sound like an expert’s job, but it is easier than you expect. The total cost of replacing a worn out fan clutch may be approximately $500 to $900, with $400 being for labor and around $500 being for the required parts and tools. Remember that most shops will mark up the parts by more than 300%.
- One user on the website AutomotiveHelper.com claimed that their dealer quoted $550 to perform the job.
- On the other hand, Topix.com users said that it could cost $650 or more for a professional job.
What is going to be included?
- If you purchase the fan clutch itself, the part should come with all of the necessary hardware to install it. It should also include a guide instructing you on how you can replace the part in your car.
- If you take the car to the dealership, the first thing the mechanic will do is diagnose the car. Once the problem has been found, the repair will be done. If the shop does not have the part on hand and needs to order it, this may take a few days.
What are the extra costs?
- If you want to replace the fan clutch yourself, you may need specific tools. For example, a fan clutch wrench will be required to remove the part and secure the new part in place. A wrench can cost $50 to $100, depending on the car brand. However, this type of wrench can be rented for free at most popular auto part stores.
- When replacing the clutch, it is recommended that you flush the coolant and install a new thermostat.
- Because it is dangerous to drive the car when the fan is not working, you may be without a car for a few days. If you cannot make other arrangements, you may need to rent a car. Some shops or dealerships will have loaner cars for a small fee or even for free, but otherwise you will need to go through a rental service.
Tips to know:
- Like any other part of a vehicle that a time fails a fan clutch may also fail. Most fan clutches overheat when they fail, especially during heavy traffic. A bad fan clutch may cause your car air conditioning system to perform poorly. Sometimes a fan clutch may also cause an engine power lose when it fails in the on position.
- Worn out bearings of the fan may cause some grinding sound as a sign of a failed fan clutch.
- If you want to try to perform the repair on your own, there are some simple steps you can follow. You will first need to disconnect the battery cable and unscrew all the bolts in order to loosen the radiator. You will see some two metals attached to the shrowd next to the driver’s side. Loosen these two metals. There is a fan clutch wiring plug on the driver’s side that you will have to disconnect and loosen the fan blade using a 13mm open wrench. When all this is done you can the complete unscrewing the fan clutch counter. This is done in a clockwise manner and then the clutch is pulled out. You can then replace the fan by following the above steps in a reverse manner.
How can I save money?
- Consider trying to replace the part yourself if you know how to work with cars. Doing so can save you more than a few hundred dollars.
- If you do not have the tools to remove this clutch, consider renting them for free from local auto parts shops, such as AutoZone.
- Try to avoid the dealers and get quotes from local independent shops. This alone can save you more than 30%. Call around to local auto shops and get a few different quotes.
|Help us! Did you get a quote before? Did you make the purchase? Help our community by sharing! Every month, we choose a random comment and award them with a $25 Amazon.com gift card.|